Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quarantine a file w/o removing the file

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 norohs

norohs

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:32 PM

Thanks to help here, I was able to recover from a Anitmalware Doctor issue. Thanks for that.

Above and beyond the fix, I'm snooping around my computer looking for any entrails left behind. Since I know the exact date and time things went bad, I've searched "*" specifying the date. I was able to find more files, like an uninstaller for the malware in my "start menu\programs" folder. I deleted it and no problems found after doing so.

There are other files created at the same time, some of them are unknown in purpose. I'd like to disable these files one at a time, reboot and see the effects, rather then deleting them.

Is there a way to disable a file's access without deleting it?

Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:43 PM

It's rather hard to advice without knowing what file names/locations you're referring to.
The point is, we don't want to disable some legit file.

Your first cause of action, should be uploading file in question here: http://www.virustotal.com/ for security check.
If it comes up clean, leave it alone.
If it doesn't check out, reopen your malware forum topic.

P. S.
Normally, if you're 150% sure, that the file in question is not some important Windows file, you can rename it, say from file.ext to file.old.
Use computer for a day, or so and see, if everything works. If so, you can delete the file.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users