Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WindowsXP home recovery console not working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 viridian

viridian

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:12 PM

I've got a corrupted system file on my existing XP desktop installation and I'm attempting to use the recovery console on the XP installation CD (definitely MS Windows and NOT an OEM version).

After the setup screen appears, I press 'r' to start the recovery console and, after analyzing my existing setup and loading files followed by a lengthy pause, it says that setup is starting Windows only to get the set-up screen again!

Pressing 'r' again reboots my PC and the process is repeated!

Am I doing something wrong?

I don't want to reinstall XP over my existing setup as I've been warned that I might not be able to access some of my legacy programs.
I don't believe my XP CD is damaged but, if it is, could I use another XP installation disk to copy the recovery console to my c:/ drive and then resolve it from there?

Finally, if I do have to carry out an XP reinstall, how much of my existing info such as email settings and program set-ups will be retained?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:16 PM

I'm just curious as to what "corrupted system file" means.

If you mean that NTFS is damaged...only thing that will change that is probably a deletion of the partition and reinstall.

What error message are you trying to overcome?

Louis

#3 viridian

viridian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:50 PM

What error message are you trying to overcome?

Louis

I had a sudden virus warning which didn't seem to clear.

I restarted and it came up "Can't find file Windows\Sytem32\Config\System"

Tried a restart using a 'good version' option - machine went into continuous restart mode obviously obliterating and 'good versions' I might have had!

Checked various websites about this problem and decided to use the recovery console on my XP CD with the results already identified

Hope you can help

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:44 PM

I believe the following apply (two takes, same thing):

Corrupted Registry, Config.sys Missing or Corrupt - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

C0000218 Registry File Failure - http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_repair_a_stop.htm

System manufacturer and model?

Just in case your CD is dirty/defective:

How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users