Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

startup errors

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 smssoleimani

smssoleimani

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:43 PM

When I turn the computer on it says on the black screen that "the amount of system memory has changed. strike f1 to continue, strike f2 to run the setup utility."There is no real problem but how can I get the computer to realize I have updated the memory, or basically just shut up about it and boot without having to press f1 to continue.

And for the real problem I am having is after windows has successfully booted up (after pressing f1 to continue) I get a pop up error message. I've attached it so you can see for yourself.

Thanks,

Steve

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:13 PM

Info on mentioned file at http://www.file.net/process/pdesk.exe.html.

If you have any program mentioned which contains said file...I would uninstall it and then reinstall it.

If you had such program installed previously but removed it, I suggest installing/uninstalling it again...it may have left traces on your system.

Louis

#3 smssoleimani

smssoleimani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:22 PM

i had matrox powerspace installed and i figured that could be causing the problem so i uninstalled that. but as far as i know i never had powerdesk or pdesk installed. the only thing left in add/remove that has to do with matrox is "matrox graphics software."

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:41 PM

Well...my clue would be the fact that it is a Matrox file...and move on from that.

In other words...uninstall the Matrox card and then reinstall it.

Louis

#5 smssoleimani

smssoleimani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:20 PM

how do i go by doing that. uninstalling the "matrox graphics software" and then reinstall driver?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:39 PM

I would look in two places:

a. Device Manager is the typical place to uninstall drivers for hardware components. Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Locate the Matrox card under Display Adapters, double-click on it...Driver tab...click Uninstall button.

b. Some vendors (like Matrox) may also install software into your programs...these must be removed via Add/Remove Programs.

As for reinstalling...you can use either the original drivers CD...or you can download the current driver from the website of the manufacturer of the device/system.

If the motherboard is rather old, XP may reinstall the correct drivers automatically after a reboot. Check that in Device Manager before attempting to reinstall them. If a device needs drivers installed, it will stand out (yellow marker by it).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 June 2010 - 04:39 PM.

#7 smssoleimani

smssoleimani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:57 AM

i did what you suggested earlier, and reinstalled the program and then uninstalled it and i believe it worked, no error. but my other problem still persists. everytime i boot the computer i get a message about the memory on th esystem has changed. when i press f1 to continue it boots fine, i just want to be able to turn on my comp and have it boot without having to press f1. i tested the memory, trying them in different slots from 1-4, and they all work. just when its over 1gb i feel is when i have a problem. i looked up the maximum this computer can handle and it said 2gb. so im not sure what to do.

EDIT: btw the computer is a dell optiplex gx270

Edited by smssoleimani, 09 June 2010 - 11:36 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:42 AM

Testing RAM...involves a lot more than merely moving the modules to different slots.

Individual modules may work individually...but they are supposed to work as a team. Just like any team sport...individual success is nothing, if the team fails to achieve team goals.

Memtest86+ is one of the generally accepted ways of testing system RAM for problems. It is a somewhat time-consuming process...but troubleshooting system issues is time-consuming, depending on what is wrong and what clues are known.

If each of these modules has always been in the system...I would interpret the message you receive at boot as indicative that one of them may be failing.

If you have added any modules recently...I suggest testing just those modules together...then testing the other modules together...then testing all of them together.

Some users think that all RAM modules are created equal. That's simply not true...and some motherboards are more picky than others in terms of how well they cooperate with RAM.

Bear in mind that...any error during a test of RAM...has the same effect as 100 errors...there is a problem.

A basic reference I use: Icrontic Diagnose with Memtest86+ - http://icrontic.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86.

The current version of Memtest86+ can be downloaded: Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool - http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

You want the .iso file, not the .zip file.

The .iso file then must be burned to CD, following guidance at How to write a CD-DVD image or ISO - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/.

Louis

#9 smssoleimani

smssoleimani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:09 AM

ran the test, went for 16 hours over the night, when i returned the test still had not finished and i couldn't wait any longer so i had to stop it at about 86 percent. about 16 passed and 0 errors at that point. did the test create a log saved somewhere on my system i can open and look at or even attach to a post? how else could we diagnose this issue?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:58 AM

I suppose that I would replace the CMOS battery, if the RAM appears OK. Just grabbing at straws now.

Louis

#11 smssoleimani

smssoleimani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:00 AM

it seems to be not registering the fact that the memory has changed from 1gb to 2gb, is there a way in the setup menu or any other way to tell the computer there is now 2gb of memory?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:16 AM

You actually added RAM to the system?

Did you replace the original RAM modules...or just add one in?

Did Memtest86+ reflect all the RAM installed...since it appears that your system does not?

Louis

#13 smssoleimani

smssoleimani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:25 AM

yes, so the pc had two 512s installed and then i found the same exact pc, a dell optiplex gx270, and took the two 412s in there and added to this pc. without a doubt the addition has made the comp fast with opening apps, and boot up but the computer doesnt seem to be able to register any memory about its original 1gb. for example, with the two originals, no message, then with the two i found, no message, but with all four, i get the message. did not replace, left the originals, added two more. i believe the test reflected all of them. it said during the test somewhere 2046 mb, which is the memory that is installed.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:11 AM

Good...I would replace the CMOS battery.

That system supports 4GB max of RAM.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/us/products/.../gx270_spec.pdf

Louis

#15 smssoleimani

smssoleimani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:32 AM

Didnt have to, the problem mysteriously went away. i assume the test i ran for 16 hours made the computer realize that it shouldn't be complaining and that i just added more memory.

Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users