Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezing up

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Midder

Midder

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 08 October 2005 - 12:50 PM

My computer was fine a couple days ago, until i logged off. I had to reboot my system because i didn't remember my login password. The system then started freezing up when the main screen popped up and i couldn't access any files without the computer being really slow and freezing up again. I've tried waiting for long periods of time to see if it would catch up and be fine, but it never did. I've also tried using the XP installation disc to try and repair the problem automatically but it ends up saying there are 2 DLL files missing or corrupted then goes on to finish, and then it acts the same way. I don't want to have to perform a clean install because my files aren't backed up. I appreciate any help I can get, I just want to resolve this problem asap. Thanks in advance to anyone who offers any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 08 October 2005 - 12:53 PM

What .dll files are missing?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Midder

Midder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2005 - 02:14 PM

I don't remember I had them wrote down but I'm I don't have the paper/theres only like 2 i know and the windows media player is a problem too, the DLL of it anyways. Is there a way to replace those DLL files? I appreciate the help

#4 Midder

Midder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2005 - 02:20 PM

Oh yeah, i do have registry mechanic on my computer and was lucky enough to run it but the system froze in the middle of fixing the errors (while trying to make a restore point). I'm sure it would have fixed it but i had to yet again restart it which didn't do any good

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2005 - 02:24 PM

If you can find the names of the .dll files you need, we might be able to find them for you.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#6 Midder

Midder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2005 - 02:27 PM

if i had that paper i could tell u,because its at my house and i wont be able to get ahold of u online because i'm at a friends house right now, is there any other way of doing this and would i have to burn the files to a disc or make a recovery disc or anything like that?

#7 Midder

Midder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2005 - 02:58 PM

Would the Last Known Good Configuration by pressing F Eight at startup possibly fix the problem?

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2005 - 06:11 PM

Would the Last Known Good Configuration by pressing F Eight at startup possibly fix the problem?

You can try that.

Have you tried System Restore?
Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore
Choose a date, before the problem occurred.

if i had that paper i could tell u,because its at my house and i wont be able to get ahold of u online because i'm at a friends house right now

If you can get into Safe Mode, choose Safe Mode with Networking.
That should allow you to use the internet.

#9 Midder

Midder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2005 - 06:54 PM

All right/well heres the deal/i did try and use system restore a few times but when i clicked on it like any other program or icon the hourglass will stay for a second like its trying to open it but then it just disappears/and the only time i could get into system restore after waiting a really long time for it to do so, it said i couldn't open it because i wasn't the administrator or something, I'm not exactly sure what though. I saw somewhere on line about that system recovery thing, but i don't know what to do with it/could u tell me what it does and how i would go on to use it?

P.S. I don't think I need to use Safe Mode because i can startup in Regular mode, but if I do use Safe Mode will any programs open up?

I really appreciate all that you have done to help me, like I said before, I just want to fix this thing once and for all

#10 Midder

Midder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2005 - 06:56 PM

I'm sorry I messed up/I meant Last Known Good Configuration, not System Recovery in my last reply

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2005 - 12:53 AM

Try System Restore.

#12 Midder

Midder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2005 - 12:32 PM

Allright I'll try that. This is what I plan to do in order

Change administrator password

try system restore in safe mode, then safe mode command prompt if I can't do it that way

Last Known Good Configuration, but I don't know if that would work since the PC boots up fine but freezes (would doing this fix the freezing and serious lagging?)

Recovery Console

Would this be a good source of action to take for this problem u think? And in this order

I also wanted to know what your advice would be for the best software i should run on my pc to keep it safe and protected

If you could get back to me asap on this I would really appreciate it

Thanks Again for all your help

#13 Elixer

Elixer

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 09 October 2005 - 12:55 PM

If you are unable to resolve this problem using System Restore in "SAFE MODE", the next thing to try is to see if the problem is located in the System Settings or User Settings.

Goto... CONTROL PANEL > USER ACCOUNTS

Then create and New User with Admin Priviledges. Restart and login as that user. If the new user profile works fine, then the next thing to do is to move your personal date from your old profile to the new one. After you confirm that everything is working, you can thing delete your old profile. Whenever you do that, don't delete the data files associated with it so you can go back and retrieve it if you've missed anything.

Regards,

Bill
Resident Geek

"There is an answer to every question, but is there an answer to every problem?"

#14 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2005 - 07:17 PM

Good idea, Elixer.
Something worth trying, if all else fails.
Here's A MS article on how to do this:
How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile

When you copy user data into a new profile, the new profile becomes a near duplicate of the old
profile, and contains the same preferences, appearance, and documents as the old profile. If
your old profile is corrupted in some way, you can move the files and settings from the corrupt
profile to a new profile.

Protection software:

A good antivirus.
If you don't have one, here's 2 good free ones (choose only one).
AVG
Avast Anti-virus

A good firewall.
If you don't have one, here's 2 good free ones (choose only one).
Sygate Personal Firewall
ZoneAlarm

Anti- spyware/malware programs.
I use all of these (they're all free).
aČ free - a complementary product to antivirus software which is specialized in protection against harmful software. Antivirus software often features an inadequate protection against Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. aČ fills this gap.
ewido security suite - offers protection against urgently growing threats like Trojans, Worms, Dialers, Hijackers, Spyware and Keyloggers.
Ad-Aware - A good program similar to SpyBot S & D.
Spybot S&D - Detects and removes spyware, of different types, from your computer.
Spywareblaster - A good program that prevents spyware from being installed on your computer in the first place. This program is always running in the background, protecting your computer. It prevents the installation of bad active X controls found in web pages.
SpywareGuard - A nice compliment to SpywareBlaster. This allows you the option to prevent downloads that contain bad active X controls.

These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

Download them, update them, and then run them.

When installing ewido security suite, under Additional Options uncheck:
Install background guard
Install scan via context menu

Important:
Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do SERIOUS damage, if not used properly.

Also use a browser other than Internet Explorer.
IE is not as secure as one of the following browsers, due to it's use of ActiveX.
You can use as many browsers as you want to.
They will not conflict with each other.
I've been using Firefox for a few years, and have just started to play around with Opera.
Mozilla
Firefox
Opera
Flashpeak SlimBrowser
AvantBrowser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users