Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast and scanning

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:36 AM

:thumbsup: ok...I have done my weekly clean up of my puter and have run Avast...do I have to run scan archive files every time and...is the standard scan suffiecient?

I have run Avast on High Scan before and asked for it to scan the Archive files and it took an age to do and came up with nothing..so am just wondering if i can just omit the archive bit and just run it on Standard Scan....

DOLLYEYES X
Posted Image
Of all the things Ive lost...I miss my mind the most!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pacman123

pacman123

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 08 October 2005 - 01:26 PM

Hi Dolly i used to run standard scan once a week then high scan once a month unless i thought there was something amiss but i think it's down to personal preference.............

#3 confused_user

confused_user

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 08 October 2005 - 02:49 PM

Although it may take a while, I usually run the full scan. I run it went I know I will not use the computer for a while such as sleeping.

I do understand the reason why you ask. You may think, why scan archived files, if they have not changed, right?

My response to that is another question. How do you know they have not changed? I know of many viruses that like to change/alter your back up and system restore files.

To some, I may be overdoing my scans, but I update and scan with my anti-virus, Spybot, and Adware, once a week. I think you would benefit with a scheduled time that you do all your scans, whether it is once a week, or once a month.

#4 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 08 October 2005 - 04:15 PM

:thumbsup: Thankyou Pacman and Confused....I have started to do a weekly update and and i run Ewido, Ad-Aware,Spybot, Avast and finally Clean-up. I also restore my system points and set new ones...and....just to show off completely, I also run Scandisc and Defrag once a month... :flowers:

I was just wondering about the archive bits but as you say Confused..they could get infected...so...i think i will do what Pacman does and run Standard scan and scan the archives too and once a month run Avast on high scan...should be all sparkly clean then!!

Thanks guys for your replies tho.appreciated!

DOLLYEYES
Posted Image
Of all the things Ive lost...I miss my mind the most!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users