Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues with computer (Running Win7)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 xRand0mx

xRand0mx

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:01 AM

I am currently have multiple problems and have not been able to figure out what is going on.

I started having problems after I moved my machine home. It worked fine for two weeks after I built it and about a week once I brought it home. After that it started to shut down randomly. I figured it was a problem with the motherboard (since it only worked on its side) and put in more screws to make sure none of the board was touching the case. I also added those "washers" to put some space between the screws and the motherboard. After that the machine worked fine for about a week and then started having problems once again. Now it does not work at all unless I have it on its side, it just constantly shuts off. I've also experienced heavy cpu usage even while the system is idling. Right now it is using nearly 80% CPU with only firefox, pidgin and iTunes running with nothing else running in the background. It makes the whole machine slowdown to the point of not being usable. iTunes becomes choppy and stops playing music. I've noticed a lot of issues when I try to run Lord of the Rings Online, it seems to literally stop the computer (90%+ cpu usage), even when only a few weeks ago it was playing just fine.

I'm trying to narrow down the problem but these problems have left me a bit dumbfounded. I can't figure out what is going on. Even now the computer is working in slow motion.

Whats in the computer:

CPU: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
Mobo: Gigabyte P55-USB3
RAM: 4 gigs Kingstone Ram
GFX: EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 260
HDD: Running one 650 gig Seagate (brand new) and one 350 Western Digital (super old)
PSU: Corsair 750 watt
Additional: Also have a wireless card in it and an Asus DVD drive

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:40 AM

Check/remount CPU heatsink first, then go from there.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:07 PM

Got MY eye on this one :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:33 PM

Just a thought. When you transported your PC you could of damaged the disc in your hard drive. I have seen once that a very large cpu cooler bouncing around in transportation damages the motherboard. Those are the only two things I can think of that would make your PC tower work better on it's side.

#5 xRand0mx

xRand0mx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:31 PM

Well sorry for the very late reply and thank you for the advice. So far I narrowed down one problem and it was so obvious I feel kind of stupid. The fan in the CPU heatsink was being blocked by a small wire in the case and therefore not spinning fast enough, the slow down was caused by the CPU getting far too hot (in my defense since the computer is on its side its hard to see). I'm still trying to figure out why it keeps shutting off when its upright. Everything is connected, grounded (I've done this twice with the motherboard) and screwed in.

@Layback Bear: I honestly have no idea how I would be able to check that. The case did fall on its side a bit hard when I tried to gently put it in my trunk, but otherwise it was covered in clothes and other things and didn't move for the rest of the trip.

The computer runs completely fine now on its side. When I put it upright it takes it about a day or so and then it will just start turning off randomly.

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:25 AM

I glad you got it fixed. Happy computing.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:56 AM

You could try new thermal compound on the HSF.. Are the temperatures increased when the computer is upright?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users