Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

compaq sr202nx random freezes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kenmtb

kenmtb

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:30 AM

Hello-
I have a Compaq presario sr2020nx desktop. It is stock and I run windows XP. It just started locking up at random.
Sometimes it will lock on it's own just sitting at the desktop screen. The machine was purchased new a few years ago and has run fine until now.
The trouble is the screen will display repeating patterns as the PC freezes. This can happen anytime. Nothing will
respond when it freezes, not even cntr/at/del. After freezing it will always restart but may freeze again.

* I run avast, spybot and malwarebytes, no viruses.
* no new hardware /software or drivers added

How would I go about attacking this problem? Should I look at:
memory, heat,hard drive. How would I go about checking things out?
Thank you
Ken

Edited by kenmtb, 08 June 2010 - 02:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:50 AM

I would start with cleaning the inside and removing dust/grit from inside.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

Then I would take a look at Event Viewer for errors noted crying for attention.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#3 kenmtb

kenmtb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:25 AM

Thank you for the reply.
Additional info (I did this last night) :
Cleaned out dust blocking the vents and downloaded speedfan.

new info:
I cleaned out the PC, there was a lot of dust in the cpu cooling fins.
When i restarted, the fan ran very fast and the PC just beeped every few seconds.
I reseated the memory cards and it booted OK.
It is still freezing at random :thumbsup:

I used the compaq tools to check memory, the motherboard and the HD. The tests found nothing.

I checked the administrative file per suggestion and found the following:

Application tab:
Source:MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS

FCB::Open failed: Could not open file c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\tempdb.mdf for file number 1. OS error: 32(The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.).

Source:MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS

FCB::Open: Operating system error 32(The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.) occurred while creating or opening file 'c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\tempdb.mdf'. Diagnose and correct the operating system error, and retry the operation.

System tab:
source:Dhcp
Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0018F37B795F. The following error occurred:
The operation was canceled by the user. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Source:Service Control Manager
The SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) service terminated with service-specific error 1814 (0x716).

Edited by kenmtb, 08 June 2010 - 12:15 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:40 PM

I would uninstall whatever version of SQL Express you have installed...and reinstall it.

How much RAM installed on this system?

How large is system partition and how much free space on it?

I would probably also uninstall the video drivers, reboot and reinstall same...since they seem flaky.

Last time you ran chkdsk /r or equivalent (In My Computer, right-click on Drive/select Properties/Tools...push Check Now button, put checks in both options, hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen query, hit Enter. Reboot system and let it run.)?

Try running defrag after chkdsk /r boots into XP.

Louis

#5 kenmtb

kenmtb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:32 PM

Hi-
160GB ram, over 100GB free.
Check disk came up clean.

New development:
The memory chips were not seated. If the PC or chips were jiggling the screen would go crazy and the PC would lock it up. I reseated the chips and it ran great for hours.
When I removed the extra indoor cooling fan, it locked up again :flowers:
The cpu temp was below 30C.

I attempted to restart and now it will not boot :trumpet:

1) There is no self test beep.
2) The HDD rattles for a second then stops.
3) The screen and keyboard are dead
4) The power supply fan runs and the light is on in the back
5) The CPU fan runs
6) When I put in a boot CD, the CD drive acts like its "trying" to boot but nothing else happens
7) There were no problems until a few days ago.
Edit: I unpluged the PC for a half hour and tried again. It still dead but the cpu fan runs
VERY fast when I turn the power on.
8) Removing HDD has no effect
9) Removing ram has no effect

Before it stopped booting:
* The HDD checked OK (Checdisk)
* Memory/motherboard checked OK (PC tools)
*Avast, malwarebytes, spybot checked OK

Something is dying or dead but Im not sure what :thumbsup:
Thanks

Edited by kenmtb, 09 June 2010 - 12:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users