Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Build or buy?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mandkay

mandkay

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:20 AM

Hi There, I will soon need a new computer and would like to know if Windows 7 is any good or is it like Vista, which I found to be a failure. No-one I know liked it and neither did I.
If I build I can use Windows XP, if I buy I will have trouble finding one with XP as the operating system. Windows dictates which operating system will be on new machines.
A meaningful reply would be much appreciated.
Very best regards from mandkay.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:25 AM

<<...and would like to know if Windows 7 is any good or is it like Vista, which I found to be a failure.>>

I find that...relying on the opinions of other persons who are quite unlike me...is pretty foolish. Particularly when I can find out myself by a little effort. I suggest that you at least log some time on a system with Windows 7...and then make up your own mind.

<<If I build I can use Windows XP, if I buy I will have trouble finding one with XP as the operating system>>

Any one who buys a system that has Win 7 installed...can always delete that/reformat..and install a purchased copy of XP.

A bigger, more important consideration...IMO...is the fact that XP is becoming more obsolete/unsupported by its developer...by the minute. A user can probably use it indefinitely, just as some still use Windows 98 or Windows 95. I personally question the value of living in the past, just because it involves familiarity.

In reply to your topic title...I will say that any system that is built...offers much more flexibility and ease of use...than any system that can be purchased from an OEM (Dell, HP, etc.). Once a user purchases a system from one of these vendors/manufacturers, various options for repair, reinstall, updating, upgrading...become fewer than those existing with a built system.

OTOH...many users who take no interest in such...and who treat their systems in the same manner that they treat their autos (send it to the shop when something major goes wrong, no concept of preventive/normal maintenance)...these users probably benefit from purchasing OEM systems with extended warranties and reputations for "good customer service" when things go wrong.

Louis

#3 mandkay

mandkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:01 AM

Hi Louis, Thank you for taking the trouble to reply to my query, I think that I shall build a new PC later this year and install Windows 7 as the OS. Your comments regarding XP are very relevent and it may not be too long before support is withdrawn completely by Microsoft.
Very best regards from Keith (mandkay).

#4 Taomech

Taomech

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:31 AM

Hi Mandkay,
Hamluis has given you some very good tips, but there also other things you need to think about.

There is really no point in building your own computer these days unless you find it fun. I do. As the cost of an OEM system has dropped dramatically because of competition, you can't really save money. Don't let this put you off, as I find building my own computer a very fulfilling experience. Especially when it boots for the first time. Hamluis also covered the topic of support, but I think I can add some more.

If you build your own computer, you are the sole support, with only the internet and your wits to help you. Still, troubleshooting a problem isn't hard as there are many helpful people on forums like this.

So, all in all, I would go ahead and build it. Its fun, enjoyable and gives you a sense of achievement.
I built my first computer and I would definitely do it again.

Thanks,
Taomech

#5 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:03 PM

Microsoft will be dropping support for XP SP2 later in the year, and SP3 shortly behind in early 2013.

I would build. That way, you know what your gettings, and its not made in a foreign country as almost all of the major OEM's are doing now. Plus, you get quality parts and a lower price.

And Windows 7 is microsofts best OS to date... Every expert, critic, and consumer will say just that. XP was good, but Win7 is great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users