Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD/Unable to restore system(Vista Ultimate) - Help needed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Amarll

Amarll

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:08 PM

Hello! First and foremost, this is my first post in this forums so, I just want to say hello to everybody, and its great to be here.

Second, and more importantly, I have recently gotten the dreaded BSOD, and while being pretty computer savvy, I still have not come to a working resolution.

Just for reference, I just got done playing my game(Mortal Online), and decided to reset my CPU back to its original speed, for I had been overclocking it recently and it was making my room pretty unbearably hot(I live in the South, where it is notoriously hot and humid). I restart my computer, set the multiplier to 13, instead of the original 15. Noticing my RAM ratio set to auto, and the speed running at 800mhz, I set it to a ratio that would allow my RAM to run at ~1000mhz(the max speed the RAM can go). I then save and exit. The computer restarts, I boot up into the password section, enter it and start up. Everything works, then I run CPU-Z, and it freezes.

I am forced to do a restart and then it gives me a BSOD, and will automatically restart. Safe mode will not boot up, and in BIOS it says my Hard drive is there and is in my boot right after my CD/DVD drive is. No abnormal sounds are coming from my computer, but I did try and crack it open and tighten up loose screws, and plug in wires that looked like they were coming out.

I went into BIOS and set the settings into fail safe defaults. - Didn't work.

I put my Vista CD in and want to repair it, but its not working at all. When prompted to either install Vista or Repair, I click on repair. A window comes up and tells me to select my drives, but nothing is there. I select 'Next' anyways, and another screen pops up for the restore options, etc. I do a Startup Repair and it says that my Operating System is unknown, and local disk not found. I then continue the repair and the following diagnosis pops up:

Numer of repair attempts: 1

Session details
---------------------
System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0
Windows directory =
AutoChk Run = 0
Number of root causes = 1

Test Performed(All of them have "Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0" as result):
Check for updates
System Disk test
Disk failure diagnosis
Disk metadata test

Root Cause Found:
System volume on disk is corrupt
repair action: file system repair (chkdsk)
result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0

This does not help at all, and will not fix anything. I have tried System Restore, but that gives me errors, and I am unable to even access it, saying the computer is running at a low diagnostics or something of that sort(don't quite remember).

I am decently equipped to deal with computer problems, but this one is way over my head. Any advice?

System Specs:
AMD Q9950
Saph 4870
OCZ 4gigs 1066
500gig Western Digital HD
Vista Ultimate

PS: I have not backed up my computer and would rather not result into a fresh restart, but if that is required I will.
PPS: Please do not tell me my hard drive died, or else I might explode.

Edited by Amarll, 07 June 2010 - 11:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:01 PM

Hi:).

Just a clarification...you did run chkdsk /r (or equivalent) as suggested?

The content of your BSOD message...would be useful. There are many different messages and they usually contain clues as to where troubleshooting might begin.

You can try this:

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html.

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items. Save the report as BSOD.txt. You only need to save the data from the upper portion of the screen.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users