Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP wont start after running Combofix

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 kakathy

kakathy

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:37 PM

While I realize it now that i shouldnt have run combofix - whats done is done. my brotherinlaw suggested i run combofix after i got a redirect virus. so i ran combofix and now my computer wont start up - i can get it to run in safe mode though.

i have very basic computer knowledge so if someone ends up being able to help me - i am going to need specific instructions as alot of the computer terms go right over my head.

i am a quick learner though! thanks in advance for your help!

kathy

EDIT: Moved from XP to Am I Infected forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 07 June 2010 - 07:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,949 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:18 PM

Hello,

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at step 6.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Since you have run ComboFix, please include the ComboFix log in the new topic. Please be sure to include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to try to resolve them.

If you cannot produce any of the other logs, then please create the new topic anyway, include the information that you were unable to produce the other logs and why and include the ComboFix log along with a description of your computer issues.

Orange Blossom fruits_cherry.gif
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 kakathy

kakathy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:49 AM

Thank you so much for replying - please pardon my ignorance but i am not sure how i can create logs from that computer as i am not really familiar with operating in safe mode - how would i get the logs off that computer and onto my other computer so that i can post them with my question?

Again apologies for needing simpleton instructions

thanks for your patience!

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,949 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:04 PM

I'm assuming you have a disk or a USB flash drive. You can save the logs to that using the Save As option.

Once you have the logs saved, you can then insert the removable media into the other computer, and then open the files on that computer and copy and paste them into the posting area of your topic.

~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 kakathy

kakathy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:48 PM

oh orange blossom! youre going to wish you never tried to help me - i am a challenging case! i have no idea how to run any of the things you said to do - i would need step by step instructions - very basic instructions for a simple gal. shall i start the new topic as suggested and just say i am unable to create logs?

my apologies and my deep appreciation for your help!

kathy

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,949 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:22 PM

Hello there,

Let's back up a bit and take things incrementally.

1) You ran Combofix. That program automatically creates a log. We'll get to that later.

2) You cannot get into Normal Mode, but you can get into safe mode.

Question 1)

Do you have a flash drive also known as a USB Drive? They look like this:

There are many varieties of these and they do have variations in appearance, but that picture does give the idea.

There are other options if you don't have one of those, but these are the easiest to use in my opinion.

Question 2)

Do you have access to another computer?

Orange Blossom

#7 kakathy

kakathy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:49 PM

Hi there - thanks so much! yes the above is correct and i do have a back up drive.

When I turn on my computer i have the option to select:
Microsoft Windows Recovery Console or
Windows XP Media Center Edition

However when i select Windows XP Media Center Edition - nothing ever happens. the screen just stays black.

When i go into the recovery mode i am then asked which windows installation i would like to run and have the following choices:
1: C:\Windows
2: D:\MiniNT
3: F:\Windows

Thx again for your patience - let me know my next steps

smile.gif

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,949 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:47 PM

Hello,

When you see those two options, I think you've already missed the Safe Mode option. The recovery console is something else entirely, and I don't know how to handle that. If you haven't seen that option there before, it is there now because ComboFix installed it when you ran the program.

So, first let's see if you can get into Safe Mode.

First, locate the F8 key on the keyboard so you know where it is. You should find it in the top rank above the number keys a bit right of center. Got it?

Now, restart the computer. Wait for it to shut down. Be poised with your finger on that F8 key. As soon as you see any Company logo's etc. that you would see on starting up (I see a big DELL logo on mine), start hitting the F8 key. If you time it right, you should see a list of options.

It should look like this:

If you don't see that screen, restart and try again. Timing is critical.

Use the arrow keys (the Up arrow key specifically) to the bottom left of the number pad to move the grayish bar you see in the screen up to Safe Mode

Hit the Enter key

You should then see a list of things scrolling by. A pause, then a black screen with Safe Mode in 4 corners, another pause, then finally the user selection screen. If you get an OS choice screen in this process, pick this one: Windows XP Media Center Edition The user selection screen will look a lot larger than you usually see it. Choose your usual user account and log in if you usually log in.

It will then go to your desktop, buticons will be much larger and you won't see as much of the desktop.

Let me know if this works.

Orange Blossom

#9 kakathy

kakathy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:36 PM

Hi so i can get to the screen where it allows me to choose safe mode then it stays on a screen that is filled with lines that start with

multi (0) disk (0) rdisk (0) partition (1)\WINDOWS\

most then follow a similar pattern to this:

WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS...etc

and few others say other things like:

multi (0) disk (0) rdisk (0) partition (1)\WINDOWS\system32\KDCOM.DLL
multi (0) disk (0) rdisk (0) partition (1)\WINDOWS\FONTS\vgaoem.fon
multi (0) disk (0) rdisk (0) partition (1)\WINDOWS\APPPatch\drvmain.sdb

let me know if i should retype all the ones that appear

Thx again!

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,949 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:58 PM

Hello,

No, no need to type all those lines. How long did you wait at that screen?

Orange Blossom

#11 kakathy

kakathy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:04 PM

the longest i waited for was an hour....do i need to wait longer?

thx as always!

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,949 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:23 PM

Hello,

No, you certainly don't need to wait longer than that.

Now we know that you cannot boot into either normal or safe modes. I've alerted those who are more familiar with these kinds of issues. Someone else will pick up this topic and provide further instructions.

Orange Blossom

#13 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:33 AM

Hello kathy,

Please see if you can follow the steps below. If you have any questions, just let me know smile.gif

I will move this topic to a more appropriate forum.

On a working computer, please download OTLPE (filesize 120,9 MB)
  • When downloaded double click on OTLPENet.exe and make sure there is a blank CD in your CD drive. This will automatically create a bootable CD.
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Depending on your type of internet connection, you should be able to get online as well so you can access this topic more easily.
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start.
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system
  • Please post the contents of the OTL.txt file in your reply.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#14 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,115 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:16 AM

Due to lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.

If you are the original topic starter and you need this topic reopened, please send me a PM.

Everyone else, please start a new topic.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#15 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,115 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:17 AM

Topic reopened as requested.

Please follow the instructions from post #13

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users