Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with desktop display

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 41woodie

41woodie

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:02 PM

I'm still struggling to get my laptop back to semi-normal following a bout of Antispyware Soft and a Restore and Recovery. There are two users set up on the system, on the first the desktop photo works properly. On the second the photo is present and selected in the display portion of control panel but all I get is a plain blue background, that is until I shut-down the computer then the selected photo is displayed. On a restart the photo is displayed for just a moment and then the screen reverts to plain blue.
This is an HP Pavillion DV6600 running XP media center with SP3 installed. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:51 PM

HP Pavillion DV6600...that limits the things that you can attempt to repair system files...recovery/restore partitions or disks reflect all "all or nothing" approach to repairing the system.

What else is wrong with the system?

Have you taken a look in Event Viewer for errors?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Since you have two users, with one experincing anomalies, while the other doesn't...it makes me think that the user profile might be damaged for the user with problems.

Copy Data from a Corrupted User Profile to a New Profile in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

Louis

#3 41woodie

41woodie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:38 PM

Louis thanks for the information, I wasn't aware of the existance of event viewer so it'll take me a bit to figure that out and check it. I floundered about for several days when I first encountered the Antispyware Soft infection, I was unaware of this website and the top-notch information available. During that time I performed a system restore that seemed to help somewhat, I was trying to do a second restore to go back a little further and I mistakenly did a System Recovery which made a bad situation much worse.
Since that time I have managed to find and rescue all of my pictures, documents, and music that had disappeared as a result of the recovery. I've been able to reinstall several programs from disc or download. There are a couple of programs that I can still find on windows explorer but will not function properly nor have I been able to extract the data that I've entered in those programs. This includes the program Family Tree Maker which contains about four years of genealogy research that I am still struggling to restore.
When I try to right click on any file I get the message "HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Corel\WordPerfectSuite\13" value: "ConfigDir" not found in the registry. When I click this off it is replaced by a message "The base UI Language directory is invalid. I have to use task manager to get rid of these two errors. Oddly, to me, these appear even when the file clicked on has no relationship to Corel WordPerfect. I've tried reloading Corel from disc but it won't accept the registration key so I can't reinstall the program. I've contacted Corel concerning this problem but have not received a response as yet.
There are probably some small problems I'm forgetting about but these are the main issues. The problem with the display isn't critical at all I just know that it isn't the way it's supposed to function.
I'll carefully checkout the information you've sent and see if I can make sense of it, thanks again Mike.

I forgot to mention that the CD player will no longer function, so I'm trying to reinstall Corel by copying the disc to a flash drive on my other computer then trying to install from the flash drive. I just checked Event Viewer and in the sections under Application and System there are many, many errors.

Edited by 41woodie, 07 June 2010 - 07:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users