Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98 Problem with Screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gptprincess

gptprincess

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:52 PM

I have an old computer with the Windows 98 operating system. Recently when I turned it on it had vertical lines going down the screen and the flash when the system is booting up. They stop flashing and just make the screen look weird once it has booted up. I thought the monitor was broken so I hooked up a new monitor to the computer and it still had the lines. Does anybody know how to fix this? Thanks...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Brother Bill

Brother Bill

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:36 PM

Do you have another graphics card that you can swap with the one presently installed?

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:01 PM

Are you saying that this issue only occurs while the system is booting and that it is fine when Windows is loaded?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:43 AM

You say you've changed the monitor and thats made no difference it sounds like the graphics card is giving up the ghost. I don't think you will find many new graphics cards suitable for Win98 but you may find some on eBay.

You could try starting up in Safe Mode that only uses basic settings and drivers to get Windows to run. Keep the Ctrl pressed until you see the boot menu then select Safe Mode and see how it shows once Windows has started and gone to the desktop. You could try downloading new graphics drivers just in case your have been corrupted. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users