Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Informational: Samsung DDR2 memory failures

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:30 PM

I am posting this as nobody else seems to have noticed; but, Samsung's DDR2 memory (PC2-3200, 4200, and 5300) is failing at an alarming rate and what is truly unusual is that they are almost always two to four years old. These are genuine, first on first, Samsung branded parts in Dell's, HP's, Compaq's, and Gateway's so far and, from my 34 years of experience is unprecedented. Good ram tends to stay good!

If you get a stop 0x0000008E (0xC0000005... error, get the free version of http://www.memtest86.com 's memory test and run it.

Post back if you too have failing Samsung memory.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:36 PM

FWIW: That version of Memtest is known to be faulty.

If you are going to suggest a memory diagnostic, I believe that Memtest86+ (latest version) would be a more useful, reliable tool.

See Known Problems at Memtest86 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memtest.

If you used your suggested version to base your post on...I'd have to question the validity of your conclusions.

Louis

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:15 PM

None of the systems in question had more than 2GB of memory and I generally use 3.2 or 3.4 from a CD I carry around. The first time was just over a year ago and I threw several out; but started collecting them last winter. I am now up to eleven; but, given that,HyNix and some other vendors are far more prevalent, the failure rate is alarming.

Given that I was removing bad 16k ram chips from Apple II's and desoldering them out of TRS-80's or Imsai's 34 years ago, don't you think I might know how to test ram?
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:19 PM

I used to work for a CPA firm as an auditor...that doesn't mean that I can even fill out a tax return today competently.

My comments stand at face value...they are not meant for you, in particular...but all those readers out there who don't necessarily know that there are good suggestions and bad suggestions.

I'm willing to let the readers decide what suggestions make sense.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users