Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Master AV malware

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 priggins

priggins

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:00 PM

Not a techie here but comfortable on my computer. I am part of a local wireless system. For whatever reason, this morning I got hit with the “Security Master AV” malware. I registered at bleepingcomputer.com and followed the removal steps. They worked until I came to the Hostsperm.bat download. I downloaded it but cannot access it and it gives me this message “hostsperm.bat is not a valid Win32 application”. I think I need to access this because 30 minutes after removing the malware, it returned. Also, in a related question, I have been running AVIRA as my security and up until now, I have been satisfied. It obviously did not help me this morning. I am due to renew my AVIRA protection in two weeks. Which is a better protection system: AVIRA or Malwarebytes?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:18 PM

<<Which is a better protection system: AVIRA or Malwarebytes?>>

You are talking golden delicious apples...versus cooking apples, IMO :thumbsup:.

Any AV is a constant on the system...and should be treated as such. I don't know why you are paying for Avira, Avira Free seems to do the job very effectively for many.

Gizmo's - Best Free Antivirus Software Gizmo's Tech Support Alert - http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-...us-software.htm

Avira Free is highly recommended by many, I like it.

As a secondary line of defense...there are programs like Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware which should be installed on a system, IMO.

SAS is very good for spyware, adware...while Malwarebytes is an on-demand scanner for malware (also very good).

Neither of these will catch everything, which is why a number of tools are needed to defend the system.

As for these bogus AV programs...they cannot necessarily be defended by any AV...that much should be evident from reading about them.

That's why there are seemingly complex instructions for nullifying these malware items...it's not as simple as "run a scan".

For reference: BC Security Master Removal Guide

I am moving your thread to Am I Infected, where you can get the support you need :flowers:.

Louis

#3 priggins

priggins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:04 PM

Louis,
Thank you for the help. I followed your advice on the use of the Malwarebytes however when I try to down load the hostsperm.bat file it tells me that it is not a valid Windows 32 application and does let me access the file. I'm stuck right there and the Master AV files are still locked on. Remember, I am not a techie and just seeking help. Thanks again, Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users