Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Tricky Situation

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:18 PM

So here is the network setup.

One Main Office, three remote offices connected via hardware VPN.

Two remote offices are running fine, Third one cant access any shares or the software needed to be used.

Here is where it gets tricky.

The VPN connects just fine, I can ping all computers at the main location, and when accessing the citrix server via ip address (IE: //192.9.200.3/citrix/metaframe) it knows the site and attempts to open //192.9.200.3/citrix/metaframe/default/default.aspx which shows that the computer knows the redirection, but it never displays. I cant access shared files on either of our 2 servers (windows 2003, on is Database, on is Terminal Server). I tried changing out the router at the third office with another VPN router, and got the same results.

I setup and account on the router for a PPTP VPN user, and once connecting it from the thrid office, it opens up all the software just fine!

I know its not a router issue since we tried to install the other router and reconnected the vpn.

I want to say it is a network issue, but I have checked everything possible. Internet works fine, no collisions or duplicate names/IP addresses, nothing I can see on the servers that would block it. Ran Wireshark and saw that the two networks could exchange network information. Im just so lost on this one. Anyone got any ideas?

Gavin Seabrook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bjamrok

bjamrok

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:48 PM

Here's my thoughts. Good Luck

This whole thing screams firewall or routing to me. Not sure if everything is referenced via IP address or not but if you connect by machine name are NetBios settings turned on for 3rd site? If you can ping from site 3 to main office, but not from main office to site 3, you could need to open site3 firewall ports for incoming from main site?

On main site vpn router, do you have correct static route set up to send the traffic back down the right tunnel for site 3? From the main site server is the 3rd remote site visible? Can you access records from the remote site at the main site? Does the main site firewall need a hole punched for that vpn's traffic?
Sincerely,

Brian

"Thanks to all of you who contribute to open source projects and communities!"

http://jamroktech.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users