Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Card Start UP !?!?!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mikusj

mikusj

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 08 October 2005 - 01:50 AM

HI there, im need of some urgent help to do with the instalation of a new sound card.
Firstly the computer runs on windows 2000, pentium 4 1.7ghz.
The computer has recently had problems with its on board sound(realtek Ac'97) and we have purchased a Aopen Cobra Aw-840 to replace the lacking on board sound.

When Installing the card into a free PCI slot and attempting to start the computer, the computer will not start, the process LED is still on and the computer will not bring up any Boot diagnostics etc. as usual. If the card is switched between the remainding PCI slots and even into a used slot where the network card once was, the same problem occurs. As soon as the card is removed the computer starts as normal and has no problems. I have searched around the internet and could not find anything similar to my problem.

Could the problem have to do with the motherboards BIOS? or Windows 2000?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JOSH

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 08 October 2005 - 08:36 AM

Please confirm that this card is compatable with your system and Operating System.

Next, did it come with installation instructions? They must be followed carefully.

It is possible that you should install some software first (I am referring to the driver here), and then turn off the computer, install the card, and when you reboot windows finds this new device and links it to the installed driver.

That is a guess. What does the instructions say?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 mikusj

mikusj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 09 October 2005 - 04:01 AM

the instructions are liek any other Normal PCI card. Instlal the card go into windows, windoes will detect hardware if not blah blah blah, install drivers.

But this does not even boot up, and it is compatible, made for win 2000 etc. And should have no problem with the Asus motherboard.

This problem still isnt fixed, tried it on another computer, did the same thing first time i installed the card, wouldnt boot up, then i tried plugging in the cable connected to the cd drive, then it booted, took out that cable and the original no cabl no boot problem wasnt there and it booted fine.

Please People Any help out there ?

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 09 October 2005 - 08:15 AM

I might be able to give you some ideas, but of course without the 'puter right in front of me it is tough to know exactly what is going on.

I have looked through the the Aopen web site and can see where others have had similar problems with this sound card. There are several possible causes.

Have you disabled the on-board sound first? By going into the BIOS or add/remove programs and removing drivers or sound utilites that no longer will be needed.

I can see where a BIOS update may not be a bad idea, if one is available.

If you leave the computer alone will it boot, say, after 5 or more minutes? (Oblviously that is not a normal situation, but it might lead us in the right direction)

I saw on the Aopen site where one guy with this situation was advised to place the sound card in the PCI slot that is the third one down, and that solved his problem.
http://club.aopen.com.tw/forum/viewmessage...4&MessageID=755

If you have tried this in another known good computer and gotten the same results then I wonder if the there is an issue with the sound card itself, and not neccessarily related to your computer.

Getting a different result by unplugging another device (in this case a CD drive) might lead one to believe that there is an IRQ conflict. But it seems to me that installing the new sound card in a different PCI slot would solve that problem. ( but I am not sure I understand the part of your post where you speak of the cd drive cable, not too clear to me)

Try the above things and let us know how you made out.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users