Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAID 1 System Won't Boot Into Win XP / Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 marcusg52

marcusg52

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:25 PM

Hi All,

I have a Computer that I assembled back in 2003 that will no longer boot - even into Safe Mode. It is composed of an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard, Intel P4 Processor, 3 GB RAM, with an AMI Bios. I am running 2 identical Seagate 250GB hard drives in a RAID 1 configuration using the onboard Intel RAID controller - I believe it's part of the ICH5R controller chipset.

The other day I accidentally hit the UPS button, shutting the computer off immediately. Upon reboot, for some resaon the CMOS had been reset to default settings, and setup prompted me to re-enter the parameters. I did this as best I could remember, saved the settings and rebooted. It rebooted into windows, but it found a new device and was trying to find a driver for it. This was the Promise RAID controller on the motherboard which I had forgotten to disable in the CMOS. After 5 minutes of searching for a driver, I attempted to cancel the installation, but could not. I got the "program not responding" message. So, I performed a normal shutdown from the START button...that's the last time I saw the XP desktop. The system has not booted since - even into Safe Mode.

So, I did some searches, and performed this action form the Microsoft support website:

At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:
md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer will restart.
Note This procedure assumes that Windows XP is installed to the C:\Windows folder

Well, the computer didn't restart. It does allow the Safe Mode boot to begin, but it hangs, and continuously reboots - mup.sys is the final entry before each reboot.

Now, another problem: In attempting to correct this, I thought maybe one of the hard drives in the RAID 1 mirror might be bad. So I disconnected one of them to see if the computer would boot without it. The Intel utility reported the RAID 1 as "Missing," then "Degraded," and now it says "Rebuild." According to Intel, the RAID mirror will rebuild automatically when it boots back into windows - but, obviously this isn't happening.

The problem now is that even though the Intel utility says that the RAID 1 is still bootable, I can no longer enter the recovery console. I load the RAID driver with F6, but it can't find a bootable drive. Also, I tried the OPTLE CD to enter the REATOGO desktop, and it loads, but can't find any evidence of a hard drive.

Doing some Google searches, I have found some entires where people have used the Intel utility to reset the drives to non-Raid. and rebooted, but the utility warns that doing so will result in all data being lost.

So, in summary: I can't boot even into safe mode, and I have a RAID mirror that is in effect not functional.

I have tried to provide as much information as possible, but I will gladly offer any thing else you feel is pertinent.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

regards...marcus

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:50 PM

I would:

a. Enter the BIOS, elect system default settings...save those (F10).

b. Run the chkdsk /r command from the XP CD on the system as it was setup when you set things in chaos.

Shutting the power off abruptly may damage files...but chkdsk /r normally can overcome such.

Typically, an abrupt power loss is akin to removing the CMOS battery...it results in the CMOS/BIOS reverting to default settings. Typically, there is no need to change these, other than a couple of places. No one has to remember or write down CMOS settings any more. As long as the key settings reflect the system as it is and boot options are configured correctly...no problem.

Since you have a RAID controller, you would have to possibly reconfigure that option.

Louis

#3 marcusg52

marcusg52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:40 PM

Hi Louis,

Thank you for the very fast response.

I have run chkdsk/r twice before. Once it could not complete due to errors of some sort; the second time it completed successfully.

I would be glad to try it again but I can longer enter the recovery console. Windows setup is not seeing the RAID anymore, and it just hangs.

regards...marcus

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:07 PM

In that case...I'd run a hard drive diagnostic (long test, not short) on each drive.

One of the most frequent reasons chkdsk /r cannot complete is either a bad hard drive or a bad file system (NTFS). A reformat may overcome a bad file system, but won't necessarily impact a bad drive.

The respective hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic will verify the status/condition of the drive.

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

Louis

#5 marcusg52

marcusg52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:52 PM

Louis,

Wow...good call on the hard drive! I ran the seatools diagnostic, and one of the drives failed both the short and long tests. Although it says that the problem is now corrected, I will most likely return the drive while it is still under warranty.

What do you suggest now? Should I take the RAID off the remaining drive, and attempt to get it to boot? Or, wait for the new drive, and re-install it within the existing RAID? With this "Rebuild" designation, the RAID mirror won't be repaired until I can boot to windows, so resetting it as non-Raid may be the only solution.

I'd appreciate your guidance.

regards...marcus

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:13 PM

Well...it's your call, your system.

I think of a RAID1 as a backup effort...so the reality is that a single disk can still allow you to run your system.

I see no point in waiting for the second drive, but I may be misunderstanding.

Louis

#7 marcusg52

marcusg52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:18 PM

Louis,

I guess the question is this: Will resetting the system drives as non-raid lose all data on the drives as the Intel utility warns. Some people say this warning should apply only to RAID 0, not RAID 1 - but this is a big gamble. Do you have any experience with this?

Then, if the drive is still bootable after this reset, the original problem of not booting still exists, and will have to be addressed.

regards...marcus

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:24 PM

I'm afraid I don't have any real experience with RAID0 and RAID1, other than short intervals where I set up each, using a PCI controller card. That was done just for the purpose of familiarity...once I was satisfied there was no point in such for me...I wiped my drives and reinstalled.

I generally don't know much about Intel systems...I prefer AMD (cheaper, good enough for me).

But the Intel website is very good at documenting to the nth degree...so, if you have an Intel chipset, there should certainly be sufficient detail to guide you.

Louis

#9 marcusg52

marcusg52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:31 PM

Hi Louis,

OK...here's where I am now.

I disconnected the defective drive (actually, Seatools has repaired it, and now states it is good), and attempted to reboot from the second drive. Well, to my surprise, it booted into Safe Mode without my having to delete the RAID or adjust any settings. So, I took the opportunity to finish the steps as described in the Microsoft support web page (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545). I had done Step 1, but needed Safe mode to complete Step 2 - which I did. I then got into the Recovery Console to complete Step 3...then attempted a normal boot to complete step 4.

Well again, I was shocked that it started to boot. After the XP screen, it started a chkdsk. Well for 20 minutes, it was "recovering orphaned files." When finished, the screen went black - no boot.

So, I began to think I missed an opportunity while in Safe Mode to take a different path (not that I know what it is). So, being that the supposedly defective drive is an exact mirror of the other drive, I then disconnected the drive I had been working with, and reconnected the defective drive. Well, like the first drive, I am now in safe mode. I am taking the opportunity to save some files to an external drive (even though I have most important files already backed-up), but I don't know where to go from here. I figure the other drive is now corrupted, and we have one final chance to succeed with this drive.

There is no System Restore available - probably because I completed Step 1.

Any ideas of where to go from here? I now have 2 boot drives in different states.

regards...marcus

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:38 AM

Well...it seems that you have two drives with the same files...one of which has been seen to have problems by the diagnostic.

Personally...I would nix the RAID configuration and clone the known good drive to the second drive, using appropriate software. There are various programs that can accomplish this type of duplication for drives containing XP as an O/S.

You don't say what problems were reported by the diagnostic...but I would run the diagnostic on that drive again, doing what it termed a "low-level format"...and then just use that drive to periodically clone the good system drive to it.

If the diagnostic does not present a clean bill of health on the troubled drive this time...I would make plans to replace it.

Louis

#11 marcusg52

marcusg52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:05 AM

Louis,

At this point, I'm going to assume that both drives are functional. Seatools corrected some bad sectors on the drive that failed, and now both long and short tests show it as passed. I know this may be the beginning of the end, and I'll watch for it - but at this point both drives are working.

Also, let's forget the RAID. if I can get a drive to boot normally, I can add a second drive and recreate the RAID, but for now I just want to get a drive to boot.

So the situations is this: I performed the Microsoft 4 step process on the one drive, and now it won't boot at all. it just has a black screen after the XP startup screen shows briefly. This is the drive that attempted to boot after I completed the 4 Step process. It automatically went into a chkdsk screen, and took over 20 minutes "recovering orphaned files." My feeling is that this drive may be seriously corrupted.

The second drive, I performed step 1 only of the Microsoft procedure, and right now, I am in safe mode. I'm hoping there's something we can do at this point to help recover the original system files, and boot normally. Safe mode seems like an accomplishment after 2 weeks of mup.sys hangs.

I'm using safe mode to re-save some files, but I'm afraid to shut the computer off for fear of not seeing a desktop again.

Any suggestions while I'm in safe mode???

regards...marcus

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:45 AM

I can't tell you what to do...I never even bother going into safe mode (no circumstances calling for such).

I take the simplified approach to computers and issues arising from such...I can't tell you any more about your situation than I already have.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users