Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could someone help me in trying to speed up my computer?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 memphistiger

memphistiger

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:35 PM

Here are specifics. I can run any kind of scan ya'll need me to.

Windows 7 Ultimate

Computer Manufacturer: emachines
Processor: AMD Athlon™ Processor 2650e 1.60 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 2.00 GB (1.75 GB usable)
System type: 64-bit Operating System
Pen and Touch: No Pen or Touch Input is available for this Display

I also have a 250 GB external hard drive (Seagate FreeAgent Go) that I recently purchased.
I use 2 things with Readyboost...A 4 GB Optima SD HD card and a 2 GB Kingston DataTraveler memory stick that plugs in via USB cord.

I just want to configure my computer to be the absolute fastest it can be for internet & games, primarily. I've done a lot of research online to try to tweak things but there is just so much out there and you never know how reliable the info is, I figure it would be best to ask folks who actually know what they are doing on a site I trust.

If it's easier to talk via IM, please let me know. I will keep checking in here otherwise.

Here are my IM names:

Yahoo:
Hotmail/MSN:
Google/GMail: EDIT:Removed addesses to protect from spmbots~~boopme
AOL/AIM:

Thanks in advance!

Edited by boopme, 07 June 2010 - 07:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:04 PM

give up on Readyboost,and buy 2 more gig of ram ,or what ever the board will take as max

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:15 PM

I just want to configure my computer to be the absolute fastest it can be for internet & games, primarily. I've done a lot of research online to try to tweak things but there is just so much out there and you never know how reliable the info is, I figure it would be best to ask folks who actually know what they are doing on a site I trust.

You're not going to get any noticeable speed increase using software when your hardware is that slow. It's just not going to happen.

In my opinion, trying to run 64-bit Windows 7 on a machine with those specs and expecting any kind of decent performance is just ridiculous. XP will run faster/better than W7 on that hardware, but still...you need better hardware.

Don't be deceived by "optimization", "tune-up", "speed my PC", etc...software. They are snake oil.

If you want gaming performance, I suggest you save your money and buy a new computer. Even a budget PC these days has better-than-decent performance.

Don't take what I said as harsh...I'm just begin honest with you.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 William Wilson

William Wilson

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:41 AM

Well, you can use some system optimizer to clean up your pc like CCleaner, Registry Mechanic, Advanced SystemCare, or you can use some apps to defrag your disk, like defragger, disk defrag, Smart Defrag, all of these can be found in Cnet, you can try. If this does not work, I suggest you to go to after-sales department.

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:58 AM

I agree with keyboardNinja. I would not use any thing that fools around with the registry, (cleans,speeds up or any thing else). If and when you buy make sure get IMHO 4 gigs of ram. Windows 7 64 loves ram and needs it.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:48 AM

The laptop you got is good for surfing the internet, but no good for gaming. Also you do not need to put ultmate, you could of put in starter because it uses less memory usage then the ultimate version. I agree with keyboardninja, save up and get a gaming laptop such as Alienware, custom built specifically for gaming.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:04 PM

Your processor is a bit slow, so I would trying getting Windowx XP while you still can.

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:26 AM

cryptodan is right about that. Your laptop is a netbook pretty much, not for gaming.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users