Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing cd-rom drivers

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 k988

k988

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:03 PM

Hello, I recently formatted my pc and while setting it up, the pc asked for the windows setup cd. I couldn't find it, so I just skipped that step and went ahead with the setup, but of course the cd drivers were not installed. I've since found the missing CD and have been attempting to install the driver, with no luck (mostly because I don't know what to do). Whenever i boot up the machine it says "Primary driver 1 not found, Press F1 to continue or F2 to go to setup". The setup option, far as I can tell, doesn't give me any way to install the driver. I looked on Microsoft support and the best help they could give me was to tell me to uninstall the driver, and upon restarting it would be reinstalled. That didn't work either, so I came here for help. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gforce321

gforce321

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:15 PM

Now that you have the disk, I would suggest taking the time to re-load windows before you go too far. There may be other pieces that were not loaded.
Back up my Hard Drive? It has a reverse?

#3 k988

k988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:37 PM

As in, format the PC again?

#4 gforce321

gforce321

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:39 PM

I would, to make sure it's done correctly, but if you don't want to go that route... What happens when you press F1?

#5 k988

k988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:41 PM

When I press F1 It just boots up normally.

#6 gforce321

gforce321

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:53 PM

Windows XP should recognize just about any CD/dvd drive as a generic CD drive without a driver. If it's not appearing in "My Computer", I'd check the connections, then read this CNET post I found about this problem http://forums.cnet.com/5208-10149_102-0.html?threadID=162197 . You'll have to get into the BIOS and make sure the setting for the drives (storage) are set right.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:19 PM

<<I recently formatted my pc and while setting it up, the pc asked for the windows setup cd.>>

I guess that I don't understand how you could format and install XP...without the requested CD.

System manufacturer and model?

<<Primary driver 1 not found>>...I hope that you meant "primary drive 1 not found."

If so...that message refers to a hard drive, not an optical drive.

Is this a SATA drive?

Louis

#8 k988

k988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:39 PM

I guess that I don't understand how you could format and install XP...without the requested CD.
I sent it off to someone for formatting. When they sent it back, I went through the XP welcome screens. One of them asked for a CD. I couldn't find it, so I just skipped that step.

System manufacturer and model?
Dell Dimension 3000

I hope that you meant "primary drive 1 not found."
Yeah, my mistake.

Is this a SATA drive?
The device manager says it's a USB device

#9 k988

k988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:40 PM

Windows XP should recognize just about any CD/dvd drive as a generic CD drive without a driver. If it's not appearing in "My Computer", I'd check the connections, then read this CNET post I found about this problem http://forums.cnet.com/5208-10149_102-0.html?threadID=162197 . You'll have to get into the BIOS and make sure the setting for the drives (storage) are set right.

Yeah, I looked at the settings in BIOS and they are what the helpers in that thread said they should be. Hmm...

#10 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:47 PM

Primary drive 0 is typically the hard drive
Primary drive 1 is typically the second hard drive
This actually has nothing to do with Windows drivers

Check the system BIOS. It is probably set incorrectly for the second drive
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users