Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MsMpEng.exe hogging

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shogun697

shogun697

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:54 AM

MsMpEng.exe in windows task manager appers to using a lot of mem usage its the top user with 74,072 k.I have mirco security essentials installed. I ran hijack this and will post the results.I'm in the mist of defraging the c drivebut the problem with the MsMpEng was happening before that.Any help would be great thanks

EDIT: Removed HJT log data from post ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 07 June 2010 - 12:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:24 PM

Is there some reason...that Windows Defender...which scans your system and other things if you allow it...should not be reflecting this usage?

What Is Msmpeng.exe?

I have removed your HJT log since this is not a malware forum and you don't seem to have a malware issue which would call for a HJT log. Malware logs are not permitted in the XP forum.

My experience with Windows Defender is that such usage as you have noted...is normal. If you don't like it, then you can always uninstall it and use something else.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 07 June 2010 - 12:32 PM.

#3 shogun697

shogun697
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:11 PM

Thanks hamluis I did'nt know it was linked with windows defender.ill leave it as it is thanks for the help

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:39 PM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users