Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My pc wont boot

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 angryman2009

angryman2009

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:25 AM

I was using my Gateway PC on Saturday and stepped away to go do something, and when I came back the screensaver had popped up and it was frozen. I tried to wake it up but it would not respond, so I tried to shut it down by holding Ctrl+Alt+Del... still no response, so I shut it down by holding down the power button. When I tried to reboot it, it froze on the screen that says "Press F11 to start recovery". I tried to reboot it multiple times and got the same result, so I popped in my recovery disc just to see if it would work and it told me that a hard drive error had occurred and to reboot the PC (I think that it also said something about the kernel). Will a system recovery fix this issue or does my hard drive need to be replaced? Im about 2 weeks away from buying a new PC, so I really don't want to spend the money to replace the HD, but I want the computer to be fully functional so that I can sell it or use it a backup. I guess I can get that new one now if its necessary, but If my old PC isnt booting up, is there any way that I can get the data that's in it into my new PC?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr.VisualBasic

Mr.VisualBasic

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:34 AM

Hmmm, there are different ways to approach this situation. So, you say you're unable to boot from the hard drive? Did you try pressing F11 and trying that method?

Assuming that you did, we can test to see if the files on the drive and/or the drives itself are corrupt. I would burn a copy of Ubuntu Linux to a CD, boot from that disk, but don't try to install. It will allow you a "preview mode" which lets you boot ubuntu from the cd. Use this mode to see if you can access the files on the hard drive. If you can, go ahead and backup any important files you may have. In the case that you ARE able to see the files, it sounds like your boot files may be messed up.

Get us some more info and we will go from there.

#3 bwest0703

bwest0703

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:34 PM

You may have to go into your CMOS and change the boot order if you are trying to boot from a disk. Make sure that your CD-ROM is before your hard drive on the boot order.

Good Luck!! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#4 angryman2009

angryman2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:09 PM

Ok, It looks like my Windows boot files are messed up. I finally got the Ubuntu running on my PC in preview mode, but I dont have access to any of my windows files. How can I backup my files if i cant see them? What do I do next? BTW, Thanks for all the help that youve given me so far

#5 bwest0703

bwest0703

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:49 PM

Angryman,

Are you using Windows XP? IF so, you can try to boot to last known good configuration. Press F8 as you are booting up which will present safe mode, safe mode with networking, etc... Choose Last known good configuration. This will restore settings to a backup hopefully prior to when things started to go.

I am not familiar with Ubuntu, but I would think that checking all of Windows options first may be your best bet. IF you are not using XP, what OS do you have installed? This will help us better diagnose your problem.
Posted Image

#6 angryman2009

angryman2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:48 PM

bwest,

I am using XP SP3. I cant even get into the recovery options. Ive tried to boot from my recovery disc multiple times. After I press F11, then press "R" to bring up the recovery options, I get a message saying "bad image checksum" and it freezes there.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:16 AM

You can download the XP Recovery Console and use a bootable CD containing it...to invoke any XP RC commands that you might want to try. But I would not do that just yet, since Gateway, etc. like to create non-standard boot partitions.

I'm sure that "recovery" in Gateway-speak...means that it will wipe out your current install and restore the system to initial factory standards.

The mechanisms for doing that...lie on the hard drive.

Did the bad checksum message specify a particular file?

Typical bad checksum errors, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326687.

I'm not familiar with Ubuntu...but you stated that you could not see your files from it.

<<Ok, It looks like my Windows boot files are messed up. I finally got the Ubuntu running on my PC in preview mode, but I dont have access to any of my windows files.>>

I guess I have to wonder how you can conclude that your boot files are "messed up" if you cannot "access" any system files. Does that mean that you can access other files on that drive via Ubuntu? You can see the entire contents of your XP partition?

Can you see the Gateway partition also?

Louis

#8 angryman2009

angryman2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 05:59 PM

The ubuntu actually runs directly off the disk. I wasnt thinking, i was just excited that something was working on my pc.

When I power on my pc it shows the screen that displays the computer company's name, then immediately show an all black screen thats says "Press F11 to start recovery" and it just freezes there. It was saying that a hard drive error occurred earlier, but it doesnt say it anymore. Im wondering if my HD is screwed and needs to be replaced or if doing a system recovery will fix it. And if there is a way for me to salvage the stuff that i have on my computer before I do a system recovery?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:44 PM

Hard drive errors...are not overcome by using restore/recovery mechanisms.

Unless your file system is screwed up, in which case it might be necessary to delete the existing partition and restore/recover to original condition.

It helps if users post the exact content of error messages...it eliminates some of the guesswork.

Louis

#10 angryman2009

angryman2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:25 PM

Ok, I gave up on trying to salvage what was on my HD and tried to do a full system recovery which wipes the HD and reinstalls the OS and in the middle of the recovery I got tihs message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears agin, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need. (I haven't installed anything my pc in about 6 months)

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. I you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode. (Pressing F8 just makes my pc beep... and I cant access safe mode or anything else)

Technical information:

***STOP : 0x0000007A (0XE122F760, 0C0000098, 0XBF8BE7FA, 0X4007B860)

*** win32k.sys - Address BF8BE7FA base at BF800000, DateStamp 3d6de5e5

Is this enough information? What can I do next?
Now when i start my computer up, it says "NTLDR is missing"

Edited by angryman2009, 15 June 2010 - 10:31 PM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:35 PM

You are reporting error messages...that should only apply if you are trying to do some sort of repair or nondestructive install.

Any clean install should wipe out whatever is there...then format/create a partition...then install the O/S.

I don't know how recovery/restore ops work...but it should be something close to the way a Windows disk works. At some point, the old install must be deleted.

What are the Gateway instructions for using their restore/recovery mechanism?

Your hard drive might be bad...the restore partition could be damaged...I don't know. I do know that those error messages are typical to an existing XP install.

I would run a disk check on the hard drive...before expending any more energy time on this project...if I were you. Then it might be possible to make a plan.

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users