Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power off during Defrag question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CHansohn

CHansohn

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:17 AM

first no the power did not go off while defragging for me. this is a myth I would like to know the answer to. a friend of mine said that if the power went out during a defrag that if you boot into a second system you can finish the defrag and that will fix the system corruption. is this true or is this wishful thinking?

CPU = Intel i7 950
Motherboard = Asus P6X58D
RAM = Corsair XMS3 DDR3 6X 2GB
Power Supply = Corsair AX1200W
Graphics Card = GTX 580 2-way SLI

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:18 PM

It may be true, but I don't think it would be accomplished merely by defrag. Defrag itself has no repair capability.

If Windows Defrag is being used, it is very conservative, and one of its design parameters is for there to be as far as is possible no harm to the file system if power is lost during defrag. (One reason Windows Defrag is not as fast as some people would wish.)

Normally if a system goes off during defrag, when powered up again, defrag can simply be re-started and will continue.

If the system cannot re-start, so the drive has to be transferred to another computer, that implies the file system has been damaged, and a file or files required for system boot are corrupted. If you attempt to defragment the drive in another system, defrag will detect the file system damage and require chkdsk to be run (probably on an automatic re-start for a boot-time scan). So if defrag then can successfully complete defragmenting the drive, it will be because chkdsk successfully repaired the file system.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 William Wilson

William Wilson

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:26 AM

this kind of situation has the possibility to happen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users