Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HW Installation Wizard Prob - Missing Section in INF

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 vang52

vang52

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:35 AM

Running XP on an older Dell Latitude laptop with 20 GB HD & 256M memory. Laptop is a recent loaner from my son. When I tried to connect and install from the install CD my Brother MFC 210C printer, the Found New HW Wizard displayed an error message:

Found New Hardware Wizard cannot install this hardware
An error occurred during the installation of the device
The required section was not found in the INF.

When this happened, I downloaded the latest install files from Brother and tried again with the same result. The device does work as a printer, but the Brother communication center that monitors ink level and allows scanning was not installed. Upon bootup, the Wizard pops up and displays the above message.

Last night, I connected my Cannon camera to the laptop and attempted to install the software from the CD and the same error message reared it's head. the CD drive works as far as playing music and I have read some data disks too. the laptop recognizes the USB connections so that's OK.

The laptop was a company PC that was wiped and given to my son before he lent it to me. I have downloaded and brought up to date all updates & service packs. Running avast and superantispyware. Wondering if I'm missing files or if I need to check some obscure boxes.

A steer in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

vang52
Thanks for your time and trouble!

Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:51 AM

usbprint.in or usbstor.in

i think these might be the files that are missing, i was researching your problem in google, seems the registry for those two things mighthave been erased. srry i cant really be of further help.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:40 AM

<<The required section was not found in the INF>>

That says that the files you were attempting to use to install the driver...don't have the correct data reflected. Files could be damaged, could be the wrong files for that device...it's hard to say.

I would try to download the appropriate files from the appropriate website...and try again.

Louis

#4 vang52

vang52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:08 PM

<<The required section was not found in the INF>>

That says that the files you were attempting to use to install the driver...don't have the correct data reflected. Files could be damaged, could be the wrong files for that device...it's hard to say.

I would try to download the appropriate files from the appropriate website...and try again.

Louis

Thanks, Louis. However, I mentioned that I already tried to do just that with Brother with no good results. The laptop is recognizing the USB [I'm running a powered hub that has a wireless mouse and the 210C printer connection. Those work]. There's something that is preventing the software from loading from the CD ROM to complete the install since that is what happened in BOTH cases.

What are the files silentoul is referring to?

Steve

#5 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:23 PM

usbprint.inf or usbstor.inf

sorry i forgot the F

they are the files i believe are related to why you are getting that message, from what i have seen looking into the problem. I really dont know for sure :/

Check your device manager, make sure your computer doesnt say that something is wrong.

Try installing the printer on a different computer, if that doenst work, then the CD software is bad, you can contact the manufactuer and hopefully they send you another disk, or bring it back to where you bought it from and trade it for the same unit. If it does work, you need to figure out whats wrong in your own computer. Im sorry im not being very helpful, im just trying to shine a little light somewhere.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,239 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:57 PM

My experience is that some USB devices (notably, printers)...must have the drivers already installed...before the device is connected.

Are you following the manufacturer's instructions for installing this device?

Louis

About the only other thing I can suggest would be to try the following before attempting installation: Remove Unused Drivers and Devices - http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/Win...andDevices.html

Edited by hamluis, 07 June 2010 - 01:59 PM.

#7 vang52

vang52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:01 PM

The printer was working fine on another Dell before switching to the Latitude. I did download the software directly from Brother and the same message came up. I believe it's missing files or settings.

Where do these INF files supposedly go, what do they do, and what can I screw up if if wrong.

Steve

#8 vang52

vang52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:11 PM

Hey Louis, was answering SO while yours was posting.

My concern here is that it's not just the printer. I have a problem with the camera as well. USB equipment that doesn't require software [flash drives, w/l mouse, print-only portion of the printer] work fine. This is a breakdown in the software load portion of install... That said, do we really think that it's a driver issue?

Steve

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,239 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:40 PM

Well...if all of these troublesome devices are USB-connected...I would uninstall the USB controllers in Device Manager and reboot, letting them reinstall.

I don't use hubs, but since you say that's it's powered (not reliant on USB)...it should not be an issue.

Any time I've had issues with printers or scanners...it was a driver/software issue.

Cameras...can have software or they can be be instantly recognized by the Scanner/Camera wizard...or they can be manually installed using the Scanner/Camera wizard available via Control Panel (with camera on).

Louis

#10 vang52

vang52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:18 PM

I apologize! My communication skills are not up to par.

Well...if all of these troublesome devices are USB-connected...I would uninstall the USB controllers in Device Manager and reboot, letting them reinstall.
All the USB devices work FINE... no problem.

Powered hub correctly is not the issue.

Any time I've had issues with printers or scanners...it was a driver/software issue.
I agree wholeheartedly and that's been my experience... this seems different. The laptop [Wizard] recognizes a new hardware device has been plugged in so USB works. Wizard then asks for the CD install disk to be inserted [Both cases: printer and camera]. In both cases the Wizard then posts the error message as shown on the original post. I went to the manufacturer [Brother] and downloaded the software directly to my hard disk drive and tried to reinstall and the same error message came up again. I believe I have followed directions correctly.

What conditions with the install Wizard could prevent the software finalization [and note we are talking both an MFC and a camera - two separate devices, but both requiring software]? Or am I missing something here?

Steve

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,239 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:40 PM

Perhaps I'm not understanding...don't this camera and this printer...connect via USB?

If they do, then all USB devices are not functioning properly on this system...which is why it's a good idea to uninstall the USB controllers and reboot.

I never answered this before...INF files are older files which were drivers. Currently, many drivers have a .vxd extension, while older drivers tended to have .inf extensions.

Louis

#12 vang52

vang52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:09 PM

Louis, the devices do connect via USB, but that connection works. The laptop "sees" a camera. The laptop "sees" a printer and the printer part WORKS i.e. press print and it prints. Change print settings and they change. The problem is the install of the software to set up the Brother software [includes PaperPort, etc.] suite that allows scanning and bidirectional control and viewing of the unit from the laptop. Camera was the same deal. Laptop "saw" the camera, but the software would not/could not be loaded by the Install Wizard and the same error message appeared.

Note that this laptop is close to 10 years old if that makes a difference and yes I should replace it but I've been out of work almost a year and it's the best I can do at this point.

Steve

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,239 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:45 PM

I don't know...sorry. Maybe one of the real hardware personnel here can provide clues.

Louis

#14 vang52

vang52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:52 PM

Louis, thank you. I meant no disrespect and perhaps in my frustration of thinking people aren't listening to me or even trying to understand that perhaps it is because I'm doing just that myself. If that is so, I apologize.

What is the next step? I need to get this POS working correctly.

Steve

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,239 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:54 AM

You misunderstood :thumbsup:....I meant everything exactly as stated.

I'm not a hardware person or a computer tech of any sort and many of our members here have much more experience and knowledge than I do.

I don't mind acknowledging when I've reached the end of my experience/knowledge map...it's a sign of intelligence to do so, IMO.

Let's see what others may think.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users