Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade Pentium II processor?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Number_6

Number_6

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:13 AM

I picked up a Dell Pentium II XPSP3 machine as a backup/experimental machine. This thing is agonizingly slow, so I'm thinkg about upgrading the chip to something faster .

Is this do-able?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:08 AM

Not sure I'd term it "upgrade"...I would just buy a new motherboard/CPU, PSU, RAM and case.

PII systems are quite obsolete compared to the systems/technology which have emerged since then.

If an "upgrade" was doable, I doubt if it would be worth the effort...considering the prices of any number of components which are better quality while not commanding "brand new" prices today.

Example: One Vendor From www.pricewatch.com

Seems foolish to me to even think about spending money on such an obsolete system when the money could be better spent on something more current, yet inexpensive.

Even better, IMO, is a system that includes an O/S and proper license...such as http://www.pricewatch.com/gallery/computer.../athlon_le-1620

Louis

#3 Number_6

Number_6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:02 PM

I picked this thing up for $25, intending to use it as a backup machine. It's got XP on it, so I figured that if I could upgrade the CPU that would be sufficient. I don't need much in a machine for this purpose, I'm not a gamer, just need basics.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:35 PM

Understood...the best I can suggest is to see if you can find a Dell repair manual for that system and that might cover upgrade potential.

Understand that Dell doesn't even keep drivers for older systems readily available these days.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users