Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Malware - Odd system files running

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 djseanpc

djseanpc

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:29 AM

I have noticed that normally my system usage monitor is around 1-3 when idle (not opening anything on my own). Using process explorer I have noticed that my system usage now is around 13%. Process explorer shows that a system file(s) is running but it does not show the name. When I click "show system information" in process explorer and run my cursor over a spike in the graph it shows "system" but the file name is a bunch of jumbled characters. I normally have to use a "hard shutdown" at this point to get the computer to shut down. Once it boots back up the system usage goes back to normal for a period of time but then just out of the blue the system usage will go to 13% when I'm doing nothing.

I have no other signs of a virus (pop-ups) etc. but this seems odd? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sean

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 djseanpc

djseanpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:27 AM

Just to provide further information, I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit - 8 GB RAM - dual quad core processor

#3 djseanpc

djseanpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:37 AM

FYI: I was able to shutdown NORMALLY today when the "unknown system" files were running (CPU usage at 13%), in other words whatever file(s) are running in the system folder, it did not prevent me from shutting down but I still don't understand what files are running and whether or not they are malicious.

#4 djseanpc

djseanpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:01 AM

I have run the following diagnostic/scan tools. The results are listed.

Norton (Paid version) - clean
Malwarebytes (free edition) - clean
Spybot (free edition) - clean
Sophos Anit-rootkit (free version) - clean

#5 djseanpc

djseanpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:27 PM

I went 3 days with no "system" file issues, but today I noticed that my system file usage bumped up to 13% again. Process explorer shows that "system" is running but it does not say which file. The usage seems to persist for hours and normally it won't stop the "extra" usage until I reboot. I performed a shutdown again when the system usage went up and it got hung up on the shutdown screen. So I performed a hard reboot and the computer booted up normally and now my system usage is around 2% which is what it should. I'm a not sure why my system randomly bumps up the system usage to around 13%. I did notice that yeserday I had an error message stating that "Java platform has stopped working". I'm not sure if this is related to my system usage issue or not. Any help would be appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users