Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Security essentials

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NeverGivUpChris

NeverGivUpChris

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:27 AM

I saw this last week Microsoft's free security [EDIT] anti virus/malware package [EDIT/] has anybody tried it/does anyone use it as their main security suite. I unfortunately cannot install it but I would be interested to know if anyone had experience of using this product and what their thoughts were ?.

Thanks
Chris

Edited by NeverGivUpChris, 07 June 2010 - 09:47 AM.

A Royale With Cheese

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:47 AM

The first thing anyone needs to realize is that MSE is NOT an "all round package". MSE

guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

It does NOT contain a firewall, which is an essential part of computer security.

Over the years I've spent in BC and another forum, I've seen a lot of people saying "I need/want to get rid of (whatever) internet security and need recommendations for an antivirus." People respond with antivirus program names, but very few have mentioned firewalls to replace one included with a suite.

I know this doesn't give you any feedback on the program itself, but I felt the need to point this out.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 June 2010 - 09:10 AM.

#3 NeverGivUpChris

NeverGivUpChris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:45 AM

Thats a good point I assumed that MSE + windows firewall = all round package. I will edit my post

For most home users having a windows firewall and using a router firewall is enough. There are not many free suites that include firewalls (That I know of) however I know of a few good free standalone windows firewall alternatives. Such as Comodo

Edited by NeverGivUpChris, 07 June 2010 - 09:49 AM.

A Royale With Cheese

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:15 AM

Windows 7 has a built in Fire wall that I use and from my reading is as good as any.Many post on this site use MSE and are happy with there results. I use Webroot A/V and so far I and my computer are happy. :thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer!

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:06 AM

MSE + windows firewall = all round package

My point was to make people aware that MSE does not contain a firewall within the program. SECURITY ESSENTIALS in the program name would make one believe there is. It's only while reading the program info (if they do indeed read it) that you discover it has no firewall.

My concern is that those people (who don't read the info) installing the program will think their systems are fully protected when they may not be.
They have to either enable the Windows firewall or install one. Unfortunately, they may find out AFTER they have issues that no firewall was being used.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 09 June 2010 - 10:11 AM.

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:24 AM

Good point Queen-Evie it could be misunderstood by many.
MSE + windows firewall = all round package is a very good simple way to remove any misunderstanding; I like it. May I use it when need be?

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:49 AM

Microsoft Security Essentials Overview is basically a stripped-down version of OneCare aimed at users who either canít or don't want to pay for antivirus/anti-malware software.Microsoft Security Essentials auto-updates once every 24 hours and there is no setting within MSE to change the scheduled time or frequency. See the MSE Definitions/Signatures Update FAQ. However, you can always manually download the latest Microsoft Security Essentials updates from the Microsoft Malware Protection Center Portal.

Note: Before installation, Microsoft Security Essentials checks for a validated copy of Windows and will disable Windows Defender. You need to uninstall all other "Memory Resident" antivirus applications before you install MSE.

If you are also using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware real-time protection, please read Section I here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:34 AM

Good point Queen-Evie it could be misunderstood by many.
MSE + windows firewall = all round package is a very good simple way to remove any misunderstanding; I like it. May I use it when need be?

Of course you can. I don't mind seeing it posted by someone else.

#9 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:17 AM

I personally do not prefer using Microsoft Security Essentials. But I have read very positive reviews and also that its very light on system resources.

I recommend ESET Smart Security if you can pay.
And avast! Free Antivirus as a free antivirus solution.

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 12 June 2010 - 11:19 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#10 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:27 PM

I personally do not prefer using Microsoft Security Essentials. But I have read very positive reviews and also that its very light on system resources.

Have you ever used it?

#11 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:16 AM

Have you ever used it?

Yeah I am using ESET Smart Security 4 as of now. Before that, I was using avast! free antivirus which also provides pretty good protection as a free antivirus solution. :thumbsup:
SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#12 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:11 AM

MSE is light on resources? In my opinion it makes computer slow. When I open a folder, my computer hangs for few seconds while MSE scans the files in the folder.

#13 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:18 AM

MSE is light on resources? In my opinion it makes computer slow. When I open a folder, my computer hangs for few seconds while MSE scans the files in the folder.

The reviews say that, but I don't say that. I've personally used MSE and had the same type of experience as you. I thought it was only me, but now....
SYSTEM SPECS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users