Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No network adapters shown in network connections

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RunningPT12

RunningPT12

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:46 PM

Hello,
I'm using a Toshiba M505-S4940 running Win 7 (64), and have developed the problem in the last several weeks of my system tray icon for wireless showing a red "x" instead of the normal connection signal. When I access the Network and Sharing Center and click the link to Change Adapter Settings, the window for Network Connections is entirely empty - no adapters, nothing (and thus no way to modify adapter settings). Checking in Device Manager shows both of my adapters (Wireless = Realtek RTL8192E, Wired = Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller), and both are functioning. I'm able to access the internet both wired and wirelessly. I've tried to update the drivers for the wireless connection, also tried to approximate how far back the problem started and doing a system restore to that point. I could restore back further but don't want to deal with having to reinstall all of the software that I've installed in the last 6 months. Any suggestions are welcome

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwest0703

bwest0703

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:48 PM

Hello RunningPT12 and welcome to BC,

When you say that you are able to connect both via wired and wireless connections do you mean even when you are seeing a red "x" over your connections tab in the system tray and there are no connections showing when you try to change your network adapters?
Posted Image

#3 RunningPT12

RunningPT12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:01 PM

Yes - that's what happens.

I ended up inadvertently getting things back on track - I traced the problem back to a botched installation of Avast! antivirus. I was using version 4.8 prior to the onset of the problem, upgraded to version 5.0 after which the problem started at the end of March. My solution was to go back via system restore to just before the 5.0 install - after that, all of my network connections (wired and wireless cards) were again present. I then used a utility from Avast (in safe mode) to uninstall 4.8, then installed 5.0 again and updated all of the windows updates. Everything's back to normal now.

From reading around on Microsoft's user forum, I stumbled on a thread that suggested that trying to upgrade ones antivirus software without uninstalling the previous version led to similar problems for others using AVG. I hunched that the same had occurred to me.

#4 bwest0703

bwest0703

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:33 PM

Glad that you managed to resolve your problem RunningPT12 :huh:

Appreciate you sharing the resolution with us as well, the forums here at BC can be a great learning tool to many of us.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users