Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Concerned what CPUZ is telling me about my CPU

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zebug

Zebug

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:05 PM

ok, I am new to this stuff, just trying to learn as much as I can before I begin my first build. While playing with my current computer, I heard of this program called CPUZ (which I'm sure some of you know it).

Anyway, I have a AMD Phenom 9550 Quad core processor 2.2 Hz according to what the ad told me when I bought it and confirmed in the comps "system" information.

Now when I run CPUZ, it shows me my processor as the AMD Phenom X4 9550 (everything is good so far) but this is where I am either getting confused or my CPU is 1/2 dead.

CPUZ lists my core speed as 1100 MHz (Multiplier X5.5 Bus Speed = 200 MHz).

Is everything as it should be? I was expecting to see 2200 MHz. Or does the fact that it is a quad core mean something else? Like I said, I'm a noob at this so any insight anyone can give will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:33 PM

Its possible that its just the energy saver plan, modern computers will clock down the CPU when not being fully used, the way to test this would be to run CPUZ while running a CPU intensive program, or to go into control panel and power management, and create a plan that fully utilizes all your computer functions (or choose power plan) and it should then show 2.2 ghz in CPUZ. if it doesnt work, tell us and what OS ur using, as well as your other hardware, if it does work, tell us that to. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:15 PM

You should also be able to disable the Cool "N" Quite feature in the bios. I am not sure what the nomenclature for your specific BIOS is but Cool "N" Quite is what AMD calls it.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Zebug

Zebug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:19 PM

that worked like a charm patriot09....you the man. Just changed my power settings and all of a sudden my multiplier is 11 hence my core speed is 2200 MHz.

I am using Window 7 64 bit. I was sort of hoping my CPU was 1/2 dead so I can replace it and the wife would let me....oh well. Back to learning about building my new rig.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:58 PM

Glad it worked for you. Like sneakycyber said disabling the cool n quiet in the BIOS would work to, but I figured it would be easier to change it in windows. and I know how it is trying to sweet talk the wife into CPU upgrades, Im still using a athlon x2 6000+, and have been trying to talk my wife into a phenom II x4 945. ya, hasnt been working to well lol. but in the end the 6000+ does do the job I need it to so I shouldnt complain.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users