Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Month after month of intermittent net...help appreciated

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 venividibitchy

venividibitchy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:41 PM

Hey folks,

I’ve been having intermittent trouble on/off with my internet for months now, but even after several visits, the cable company claims to find nothing amiss, so I need a second opinion. I’m pretty proficient at internet troubleshooting, but have limited experience with this specific issue.

The symptoms are as follows:
Random, intermittent lack of internet connection—in network connections, and on all browsers/messengers/etc. When this occurs, the power and status buttons on my modem remain properly colored and steady. However, the incoming, outgoing, and online lights blink (the pattern varies, sometimes it’s one light, sometimes, another…), or go out entirely for awhile. The problem randomly resorts itself after a few minutes, hours, or a day or so, but it always returns and often quickly. It is unpredictable and doesn’t seem to follow a pattern.

I have tried:
– Standard reset both with and without the coax.
– Omitting router altogether. This also omitted any concerns about network frequencies/router channels.
– The modem has been tested and works perfectly.
– New ethernet cord.
– New coaxial.
– All connections are properly screwed in.
– The network is indeed password-protected and encrypted.
– The computer itself’s network driver can’t be responsible, seeing as the actual lights on the modem blink or go out.

So what now? I’d assume that the only issues possible are:
1. The metal splitter (SVI brand, Model #SV-2G, 5–1000mH) that divides the home’s cable port for two uses: TV and internet.

2. Interference between splitter/computer/electronic devices. The computer and TV are about 5’ apart, since there’s only one cable port in the home. However, the same exact set-up worked previously for years.

3. Some outdoor-line problem the company’s missing.

4. ???

Desperate for help or ideas, many thanks-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:24 PM

Assuming that this is a Motorola SurfBoard modem (black or gray), when you say that the incoming and outgoing lights blink, do you mean they blink then turn solid? are they always blinking?

Usually with surfboard modems, you will encounter this problem when your signal drops. I have seen signal problems be cause by a few things:

1. Cold Weather. Once at my home when the temperature would drop below 50 degrees, my internet would go out. Cable company had to fix the seals on their box (the whole neighborhood would go out)

2. Bad connections at main circuit.

3. Bad modem, replace it.

Edited by gavinseabrook, 07 June 2010 - 02:26 PM.

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users