Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC wont boot

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyHairy

DirtyHairy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:24 PM

I've been trying to fix my wife's PC.

System Specs...
Athlon AMD dual core 2.2Ghz
Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe Mobo
2 GB Crucial RAM
ATI 1900XT GPU
Samsung 20" LCD
WD 250GB IDE HD
Seasonic 500W PSU
Cooler Master case
Dual DVD/RW drives
Windows XP Pro SP3

The system is about 4 years old and the problems all started with the video. The monitor came with 1 dead pixel, no big deal. All of the sudden on boot, it looked like you were flying through space from all the pixels that were flashing on boot. It got to the point where it would lock up and black screen soon after boot, but it would come back to desktop after a few seconds-minutes. I moved the PC into my workstation to work on it and the only difference really was the monitor. It went from being hooked up to the Samsung LCD, to being hooked up to an old ViewSonic CRT monitor I use to work on PC's. The monitor had been hooked into the white port on the video card from the Samsung, to using the blue port on the video card for the ViewSonic. I assumed it was the video card when I disabled the video card, and the system worked fine.

So...I ordered a new video card (GeForce 8400 GS) and popped it in and it all worked great. I continued to leave it hooked up to the ViewSonic while I did routine maintenance on it, until it was running very slick and fast. I then took it to hook it back up to her old monitor and thats when the problems started...it wouldn't boot again. I finally realized I needed to enable VGA mode and got it to boot, but every time I would try to resize the screen from 640x480, it would loose signal. Eventually the Samsung was showing a dark red color on the screen and now it wont even power up. I press the power button and the case lights come on and the processor fan spins, but it doesn't even make it to load the BIOS, so no beeps. From the time I push the power button to the time it powers itself down is about 2 seconds. I even trying resetting the CMOS by removing the battery and that worked once or twice, but hasn't since.

This is making me crazy (not to mention my wife wanting her computer back) so any help is appreciated. I've tried to tell you everything I can think of that might be of pertinence, but if any other info is needed, please let me know.

Thx in advance!

EDIT: Moved from XP to Internal Hardware forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 06 June 2010 - 05:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:45 PM

have you tried it on the other monitor again to see if it boots?

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 DirtyHairy

DirtyHairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:48 PM

Thx for the reply.
I sure have and it's doing the same thing. It will power up/off in 2 seconds or so.

Edited by DirtyHairy, 06 June 2010 - 05:48 PM.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:54 PM

do you have the old card? can you put that one in to see if it will work or not, its a longshot but i just want to know if it is the card indefinantly if it does not boot we will go on further and have this reviewed by some one who knows how to fix un booting computers. :thumbsup:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#5 DirtyHairy

DirtyHairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:02 PM

It does the same thing with the old card.

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:16 PM

ok well at this point i have no idea, i guess you will have to wait for another member to assist you. :thumbsup:

sigcomp.png 

#7 DirtyHairy

DirtyHairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:54 PM

ok...

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:46 PM

I would try a different power supply, if only to satisfy myself that it wasn't the PSU.

Louis

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:06 PM

It sounds as if your Wifes monitor is eating video cards. The computer with the new video card was running fine connected to your CRT and the only thing you changed was connecting to your wifes monitor then poof all is lost. Along with testing the PSU I would send the new card back for a new one and try a Diff monitor (aside from yours).

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#10 DirtyHairy

DirtyHairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:01 AM

Is that normal? I've never heard of a monitor eating video cards. Learn something new every day. I have RMA'd the video card back to newegg and await the replacement.
I tried another PSU w/ the same result.
I'm going on vacation later this week and will be back on Monday, so I'll post results next week when I get back. Thx for the help.

#11 bluebeard19352

bluebeard19352

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:20 AM

Since you tried the possibilities ( video card,psu,bad cable conn,monitor,bios settings)I would check for faulty ram.Try reseating or removing one at a time.
Faulty ram can do funky things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users