Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dev C++ on Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:07 PM

Hello.

I'm using Dev C++ 4.9.9.2 on a 64x Windows 7.

Whenever I first open a project and compile it, it works fine. If I then delete the compiled .exe and try to recompile, it works fine. However, if I try to compile twice in a row without first deleting the file, the file get's locked with strange permissions and then I cannot overwrite or delete it.

If I try to delete it, I get an access denied message, but about it minute later the file get's deleted.

What I've tried so far:
  • Putting the file into an accessable folder (I think I have full perms to my Desktop)
  • Changing the permissions on the file (I can't).
Has anyone encountered this before or has any any ideas? It's really annoying to have to delete the file after every compiltion.

With Regards,
The Panda

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:33 PM

Have you considered using another IDE? Dev-CPP has not been maintained in something like 4 or 5 years, and has several problems like this.

I've used Netbeans, Code::Blocks, both of which use the same MinGW compiler Dev-CPP uses, and Microsoft's Visual C++ Express Edition, all of which are very good.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:27 PM

Thanks Billy.

I just installed Microsoft's Visual C++ Express Edition and it's working fine :thumbsup: .

Didn't know that Dev C++ was so old. I liked it though because it is so light.

EDIT: Speaking of which, do you know of a C++ IDE that has some advanced features like error checking and autocomplete, but is good for writing really quick, short programs? And portable on a 8 GB flash drive?

With Regards,
The Panda

Edited by PropagandaPanda, 06 June 2010 - 08:40 PM.

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:52 PM

Code::Blocks is considerably lighter than Dev-CPP and has a better editor. I don't know about portable though -- MinGW is not exactly the most portable piece of software (Though the Code::Blocks IDE itself is portable and runs on all three major platforms).

Nobody's code completion is as good as Visual Studio's "Intellisense" though.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:50 PM

My 2 cents :
When you create an EXE file, some anti-virus run amok and start scanning it heuristically. In the meantime, it is locked for opening or deletion.

#6 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:21 PM

Hello.

Setting a great example as a HJT team member, I was not using an AV :thumbsup: .

The Panda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users