Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS beeping/ringing and computer keeps restarting

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 marisajoy

marisajoy

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

Hello...

Am having trouble figuring out what the beeping/ringing sound my computer is making means and am hoping someone will be able to help,

When I power it on, it makes a single short beep (I think it's the one that means everything is ok) but then, a few seconds later it starts beeping repeately. Is the same tone as the initial single beep and almost sounds like it's ringing.

The "ringing" will continue for several seconds and then the computer will start up. Sometimes, a few minutes after it's started up this way, the computer will automatically restart itself. Most of the time when this happens, the ringing will not stop and I have to power off the computer.

Other times, after the one beep and short ring, the computer starts up and has no problem staying on.

I know I'm probably not doing the best job explaining whatthe sound is, so here's a link to a video of it: BIOS beeping/ringing. The initial "short" beep isn't included, just the ringing.

I checked here but none of them seem to apply.

Thanks!
-MARISA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:50 PM

System beeps vary in their meaning...from manufacturer to manufacturer.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 marisajoy

marisajoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:22 PM

Sorry...I should have included more information about the system.

It's one that I built a few years ago...around 2003/2004-ish. The motherboard is made by Albatron, (PX845PEV Series R1.00). The screen that comes up when the machine is booting says: Award BIOS v6.00PG. Here is the summary information from System Information.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name MARISA
System Manufacturer INTELR
System Model AWRDACPI
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 1 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~1700 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 8/26/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name MARISA\Marisa J. Wilson
Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 768.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 228.09 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.83 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Again, sorry for not giving you the info the first time. Please let me know if I need to include anything else. :thumbsup:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:43 PM

Possible applicable beep codes (look in the correct column, please) at http://www.mcse.villanova.edu/Courses/bios-postcode.pdf.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 07 June 2010 - 08:23 AM.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:10 PM

It sounds like the key repeat are there any keys stuck on the keyboard? Along with checking the keyboard I would take this time to look inside for any dust bunnies and non working fans.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 marisajoy

marisajoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:53 PM

Hi,

I looked @ the pdf file but didn't find an answer about the beeping.

I checked and all of the fans are running when the machine powers on. Also, it has been cleaned fairly recently.

I don't think it's the keyboard either. Last night when I turned it on, I got the beep + ringing and it got to the windows starting up screen and rebooted itself. When it rebooted I had a blue screen saying it was doing a memory dump. Then it restarted again and gave me the options for safe mode, normal, etc. It doesn't recognize the keboard (plugged in via usb) until windows has fully loaded, so I had no option but to let it boot in normal mode. Then, of course, it booted up and stayed powered on. Each time it restarted, I got the same beep + ringing.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:44 PM

When the computer does the beeping is windows loading or is it still the black screen?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#8 marisajoy

marisajoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:00 AM

The first, single beep happens right after the machine powers on. When the other beeps happen, the screen shows "Checking IDE Hard Drive..." then shows the info about the hard drive. After that info goes off of the screen, the beeping stops.

Wouldn't fully start up this evening. Turned on to the black screen and beeped. Windows startup screen (blue one) came up for a couple seconds them the computer restarted. Black screen again w/beeping, the blue screen about errors and memory dump. Then it restarted to the black screen, more beeping, and went from the safe mode/nornal mode screen to the blue windows startup screen. Then it restarted and went to the blue error screen. Then I turned it off and walked away...:thumbsup:

#9 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:11 AM

From what I can tell, the RAM may be fried. I recommend testing it with memtest86+.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:19 AM

Memory or a HDD try the memory test first, then head to the manufactures test utilities at the top of the forum and download the correct software for the manufacture of your HDD. Run the long and short test.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#11 marisajoy

marisajoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:36 AM

Correction: The message does not say "Checking IDE Hard Drive...", it says "Detecting IDE Drives...".

re memtest86+: Downloaded and created bootable usb, but I cant boot from usb. For some reason the computer won't recognize the keyboard until windows has fully loaded so I cannot get into the BIOS to tell it to boot from usb. Was going to try and figure out if there's another way to get this to load. But am kind of leaning more toward this being something really wrong w/my hard drive...

Disk Check ran automatically during today's startup. There were several different messages shown about corrupt file record segments, unreadable file record segments, and something about index entries being deleted. After the machine had fully booted, I went into Event Viewer to try and find the log file from chkdsk. Could not find the log, but I did find several different errors, including:

"The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on volume C.

I found the model number (WDC WD1600JB-00EVA0) for the hard drive so am trying now to find and run the tests.

#12 marisajoy

marisajoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:59 AM

Just ran the short test. I actually ran it twice, and got the same result both times. (See below.) Am going to start the long test now...says it might take several hours so was just going to let it run overnight.

Does the fact that it failed the short test mean that the drive needs to be replaced, or is there a possibility that this is something fixable?

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WDC WD1600JB-00EVA0
Unit Serial Number: WD-WCAEK1607964
Firmware Number: 15.05R15
Capacity: 160.04 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 1 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 65 (Error Log Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 1!
Test Time: 22:48:10, June 09, 2010

#13 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:33 AM

The HDD failed the read test its on its way out I recommend replacing it. Any of these from newegg.com should work ok.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#14 marisajoy

marisajoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:27 PM

Will backup my data and get a new drive.

Thanks for your help!

#15 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:53 PM

Let us know how it works out.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer