Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP won't open

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dirkmorocco

dirkmorocco

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:50 AM

Hi.
I was using Daz/Studio, a 3d animation program, and I got a message that I wish I had written down but said something about 3d error, and may have said something about adobe. Then my computer froze so I shut down. When I tried to start it would not start normally but would start in safe mode. I ran Checkdisk and now it won't even open in safe mode. If I try to open normally it just tries to run checkdisk again and if I try to open in safe mode it gets stuck after the MUP.SYS file is listed, then eventually I get a black screen with a cursor that I can move around but nothing there. I let it sit there for up to 11 hours but nothing ever came up. I think it is bad graphics card or driver. I have fiddled with the system setting but nothing works. When I was in safe mode I tried to open Daz/Studio again but got message that this requires 1.3 something card and I only have 1.1 version.
I have the reinstallation CD but not a ASR disk.
What would happen if I yank the graphics card out? I can't uninstall the drivers.
I have Dell Optiplex 740 model E2010Hc with XP pro. Nvidia GEforce card.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Thank you.

Moved from Internal Hardware to XP ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 08 June 2010 - 08:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:58 AM

IF windows is not loading something happened to the system files. I would start with a repair install of windows. This will leave all of your programs and documents where they are and just re-write the windows system files. After you get into windows I would trouble shoot the video card. To do a Repair install insert your Windows OS disc when the computer boots Hit F10 (I think that's the right key) and select boot from dvd/rom drive to load the installation program it will ask you if you want to repair your current installation. How to Perform a Repair install

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 dirkmorocco

dirkmorocco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:04 PM

OK, did the thing and am back up, things mostly fine. Thanks for instructions.
But I can't open Internet Explorer and I don't have Windows Media Player. Want to get these and do windows update but can't without IE. What now?

#4 650038haig

650038haig

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:35 AM

Internet Explorer must be with your computer if you have repaired it thares no way that Internet Explorer should not be thare try this

open start

open run

in run type cmd

you will get a black window come up just type start iexplore.exe

#5 dirkmorocco

dirkmorocco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:15 AM

I get the message box that says Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for...
which is what I get when I just try to open it. I'm pretty sure there was an IE icon on my desktop and on the taskbar but those are gone.
One possible explanation might be that after I ran the repair install and it was booting up, it got to the XP screen and it said please wait, and it just sat there. After about an hour and a half I figured it was hung up and wasn't doing anything so I shut down. When I restarted it came up fine except for the 2 (so far) missing programs. Was it re-loading things but I stopped it before it was finished?

Should I move this to another thread since it's no longer a hardware issue? No, I moved it ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 08 June 2010 - 08:43 AM.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:00 AM

Could very well be. You should be able to load the software off the windows CD. When windows is running insert your windows XP disc and install the programs. If this doesn't work try another repair install.

Chad Mockensturm 

#7 dirkmorocco

dirkmorocco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:07 PM

I was not able to load IE from installation cd so I just went online via Firefox and downloaded IE. Worked OK but I am not able to do windows update. Researched the error numbers I was getting and have made some progress but still not able to fix it. Am ready to try another repair install, but I notice on the CD where it lists the available programs, most of them, including IE, are 0.0 MB. Is this normal? Does it mean it's not on the CD?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:24 AM

You need to review the instructions that Dell provides governing use of whatever Dell CDs you may have.

These instructions/options should be part of your owner's manual.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/enterprise/deskt...s=555&s=biz

From what I see...these systems are designed for Vista...so I'm curious as to how XP was initially installed...what media was used. From what I see, Dell doesn't issue a "reinstallation CD" so I'm kind of lost at what has been stated thus far.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 June 2010 - 01:14 PM.

#9 dirkmorocco

dirkmorocco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:31 PM

I'm not sure what you're getting at here.
I bought the computer new about 1 year ago. It had XP Pro already installed. Looking through my drawer where I stash all my computer related stuff I found a CD marked DELL, and "Operating system - already installed on your computer - Reinstallation CD - Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3. For distribution only with a new Dell PC." If it didn't come with it, I have no idea where it came from because the only other computer I have owned was not a Dell.
Could you elaborate.

#10 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:06 PM

Dells have been shipped both ways, with a reinstall cd and with some type of recovery partition. Towards the late part of Vista, B4 Win 7, Dell was offering XP vs Vista as an option.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:40 PM

Dell Instructions for Reinstallation CD

I'm "getting at" the fact that your CD may only result in a clean install. If you look over those instructions for use...there's no notation about using that CD for a repair install effort. Those are instructions for a clean install.

<<Am ready to try another repair install, but I notice on the CD where it lists the available programs, most of them, including IE, are 0.0 MB. Is this normal? Does it mean it's not on the CD?>>

This could probably be answered...if you make a copy of the Explorer listing of the CD contents. Theoretically (IMO), any file smaller than 500KB could be listed as 0.0MB...but I think I usually see them listed in KB.

Louis

#12 dirkmorocco

dirkmorocco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:16 PM

But... I already did a repair install once with that cd, using the instructions on the link sneakycyber provided. The procedure followed the script to the letter, and computer came back with all my files still there. Only problem was the 2 missing programs. Only problem now is getting IE to do updates and I'll keep working on that. Thanks for the help.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:04 PM

Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#14 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:54 AM

After discussion it appears something is not quite right.. Windows includes Explorer as part of its system, it needs it for certain programs to function properly (IE: Windows update). If the repair install did not work properly I would suggest saving your important data and restoring the Computer using the restore disc provided. Or go to a local computer shop and pay the 20 bucks for a hard copy of your OS (You will need to provide a license key). Then attempt another repair.

Chad Mockensturm 

#15 dirkmorocco

dirkmorocco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:22 PM

Did another repair install and it went pretty much like the last one, except this time when I got IE going it was able to do the updates. So I did (74 of 'em) and things look to be back to normal.
Thanks sneakycyber and rosiesdad, you were very helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users