Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netgear software not working?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 halfnerdhybrid

halfnerdhybrid

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:24 AM

First, the backstory.

I recently swapped motherboards from two old computers, to try and fix some issues with one for my sister. The cord from the power button to the MB didn't reach, so I swapped back to the old one (the issue turned out to simply be a dirty heatsink) And I got a HAL.DLL error. Used system recovery to repair it, and it rolled the operating system back to it's original state.

The Issue: I had a Netgear wireless adapter installed in the computer for internet access, and now that everything's been rolled back and re-updated (i spent two days re downloading and installing every security update and all 3 service packs) the netgear software simply refuses to run, and the wireless adapter won't work.

I know this isn't a hardware issue because i tested the adapter on my computer, and it works fine. The program to configure my settings isn't running. Or rather, it runs, it shows as a running process in the task manager, but i literally have no access to the program itself.

I tried uninstalling and re-installing the software, i tried the latest version, i even tried un-installing, using the registry cleaner from Advanced System Care and re-installing it to try and fix it. I still have the same issue.

As always, help is appreciated.

~HNH~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:48 AM

If the adapter works on a different system...then the problem has to be with your O/S.

<<...the netgear software simply refuses to run...>>

Does that mean that it doesn't install...or does that mean that the software/drivers install but the NIC gives no sign of life?

What does Device Manager reflect?

What possibly related errors are evident in Event Viewer?

Is the connection reflected when you go to Control Panel/Net & Internet Connections/Network Connections? If so, what is reflected for Details of same?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 06 June 2010 - 08:50 AM.

#3 halfnerdhybrid

halfnerdhybrid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:50 AM

Sorry to post and run...We finally managed to get someone from netgear's tech support on the phone, who didn't tell us to simply try re-installing it.

The had us go into the device manager and uninstall the drivers from there, and now the problem has been resolved, so feel free to close/delete the thread.

Sorry everyone!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:53 AM

Glad you resolved it, thanks for posting resolution...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users