Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virus software

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bev

Bev

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 12 May 2004 - 02:25 PM

I was wondering if there was a utility, or a software that one can get that can scan a computer without using the internet? Is there soemthing {somkind of CD or something} that you can put into your computer and run it to see what is wrong with you computer? If there are viruses or other problems going on? I'm very new at this and wanting to learn what I can....

Thank You
Puter Granny {Bev} :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ZeYusAngelBee

ZeYusAngelBee

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 12 May 2004 - 02:36 PM

I use AVG anti-virus offline but I like the fact it is free and simple utility.

You can find the download info in this site under Resources or here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...&CODE=01&cat=21

Edited by ZeYusAngelBee, 12 May 2004 - 02:39 PM.

~~ZeYusAngelBee~~

#3 harrywaldron

harrywaldron

Security Reporter

• Members
  • 509 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 12 May 2004 - 04:10 PM

Hi Bev:

Avast is also a great free virus scanning facility:

http://www.avast.com/

Site to register for free HOME version:

http://www.avast.com/i_kat_6.html

Edited by harrywaldron, 12 May 2004 - 04:18 PM.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2004 - 12:22 AM

No matter what anti-virus you get, whether you download it from the internet, or purchase a copy on disk at a local computer store,it will require an internet connexion at some point , because you will need to update the virus definitions to allow the application to search for the latest versions of old viruses, and new viruses and trojans.
An anti-virus application is only as good as it's definitions are current.
Most of these will, once updated, scan your computer without being connected to the internet.
Regards
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 magicmunchkin

magicmunchkin

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2004 - 08:54 AM

Hi,
I use AVG for windows, it will scan offline and is free,but as John said you must be connected to the internet for updates.
Magic
Have a Great Day!!!

#6 Xemus

Xemus

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2004 - 01:26 PM

Is this an issue that you want updates, but you could get them from another computer's connection and transfer?
Most AV companies publish their updates as downloadable files that you can grab and burn to cd. This eliminates the need to connect a suspected viral computer and pass the virus or worm on.
An example from Symantec:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...ges/US-N95.html

#7 La Princess

La Princess

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 21 July 2004 - 07:52 PM

I just started using AVG, It said it would run a virus scan every 24 hours, which it has done twice but, now I see it hasn't run the the scan yesterday or today? What do I need to do to keep the scan schedule?

Also, I am confused about the updates? How or what do I do for them?

I am so confused :thumbsup:

TYIA,

La Princess

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 21 July 2004 - 10:26 PM

I just started using AVG, It said it would run a virus scan every 24 hours, which it has done twice but, now I see it hasn't run the the scan yesterday or today? What do I need to do to keep the scan schedule?

Also, I am confused about the updates? How or what do I do for them?

I am so confused :thumbsup:

TYIA,

La Princess

The updates by default will autodownload if available 14 days after the last update, and each day thereafter. It is better to change that to 3 days in my opinion. You can do this by click on the AVG icon in the taskbar, and clicking on the update manager tab. Then in the second field change it to 3 days.

For the scheduler, double click on the avg icon on your task bar angain and click on the scheduler tab. Make sure Enable Scheduled tasks is checked.

#9 La Princess

La Princess

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 22 July 2004 - 12:07 AM

Thanks so very much..much appreciated

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2004 - 12:29 AM

With the plethora of new trojans and viruses that appear almost on a daily basis, I would recommend that you do as I do. Using definitions that are a week, even a few days old, is extremely dangerous; therefore:---
The first thing I do after I connect to the internet is to launch the AVG control center and check manually for updates. I also have AVG automatically scan at a designated time when I am usually on the net, and update if the database is older than 1 day.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#11 brockmoller

brockmoller

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2004 - 01:47 AM

As for updates, i agree with the other, an antivirus software is no good without up-to-date protection. For example, you can update with disks from time to time from an updated computer or the internet. :thumbsup:

Mod Edit: This is considered spam. Which will not be tolerated. Please refrain from any further instances.

Edited by scarlett, 01 January 2005 - 12:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users