Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weirdest malware I have ever seen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 semmel

semmel

• Deactivated
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 07 October 2005 - 03:33 PM

Hi, on a client's PC (Windows 2000 SP4) I found a bunch of malware which I managed to clean, but one file keeps coming back no matter what.
The file is called sdkgks.exe - if deleted it comes back with the same name and the current time/date, and it is 91,648 Bytes. It has a RUN entry in the registry (found by HiJackThis). After a restart both the file and the RUN entry are back.

I think this may be related: When I first started to work on the PC, there was an entry in the startup folder to start rcdk.exe which I cleaned, and it stayed gone or so it seemed. But after a restart I started HiJackThis very fast, and it found the same entry again. I scanned again a minute later without changing anything in between, and the entry was gone. I never found the file.

My guess is there is yet a third file involved.

The one file I found (sdkgks.exe) keeps coming back with the same name, but I found nothing at all during my google search for it.
I know the file is there because I can use the Dos Prompt to look at it, and I viewed it in Notepad (inet.dll is referenced in it, so I bet this is the cause for the popups we are getting). But Windows Explorer does not see it, even if I enabled viewing invisible and protected files.

I copied the file to my PC in a password protected ZIP file, and here it shows in Windows Explorer.

I scanned the client's PC with Trendmicro Housecall, Spybot, Adaware and Ewido, and Norton is installed. Neither of them found the file, but my home PC with AVG Antivirus identified it as "Trojan Horse Downloader.Generic.CVH".

Now I know that AVG could identify this one file, but deleting it will not help if it keeps coming back, and I don't know if AVG will detect the other components it probably has.

Any idea how to get rid of it?

I will gladly post the file inside a password protected ZIP file on my website if someone has the tools to find out how to stop it from coming back, so please let me know (should I attach it to this forum post?).

Following is the HJT log.

Thanks!

===

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 4:25:19 PM, on 10/6/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\LogMeIn\RaMaint.exe
C:\Program Files\LogMeIn\LogMeIn.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\LogMeIn\LogMeInSystray.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\SecuritySuite.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe
C:\EscKey\HiJackThis1991 050510\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINNT\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINNT\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hp 1000 firmware] C:\Program Files\hp LaserJet 1000\fwdl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogMeIn GUI] "C:\Program Files\LogMeIn\LogMeInSystray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [winsync] C:\WINNT\system32\sdkgks.exe reg_run
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {9E248641-0E24-4DDB-9A1F-705087832AD6} - (no file)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Java - {9E248641-0E24-4DDB-9A1F-705087832AD6} - (no file)
O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall60.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan60.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/...b?1128627991361
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = norcapdom.dom
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = norcapdom.dom
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = norcapdom.dom
O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINNT\system32\NavLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Definition Watcher (DefWatch) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: LogMeIn Maintenance Service (LMIMaint) - 3am Labs, Inc. - C:\Program Files\LogMeIn\RaMaint.exe
O23 - Service: LogMeIn - 3am Labs, Inc. - C:\Program Files\LogMeIn\LogMeIn.exe
O23 - Service: SAVRoam (SavRoam) - symantec - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:00 PM

Hello,

Download FindQoologic.zip save it to your Desktop.
http://downloads.subratam.org/Find-Qoologic.zip

Extract (unzip) the files inside into their own folder called FindQoologic.
Read here how to unzip/extract properly:
http://metallica.geekstogo.com/xpcompressedexplanation.html

Open the FindQoologic folder. Preferable to your desktop.
Locate and double-click the Find-Qoologic.bat file to run it.
Choose option 1 for Run Findqoologic by typing 1 and pressing enter.
This will scan your system.
Wait until a text opens.
Post this in your next reply
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#3 semmel

semmel
  • Topic Starter

• Deactivated
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:50 PM

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately I won't be able to do this because my client has already decided to reinstall the PC... :-(

Anyway, can you give me technical details on what this one does and where it hides/implements itself into Windows?
I am a computer support guy (I want to learn more about where these stinkers come from and how to get rid of them), so please be technical with me :thumbsup:

Thanks!

#4 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2005 - 12:31 AM

Hi, this one also uses a *.cpl file which is responsible for keeping the infection 'alive'
Look here for more info: http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusin...s.aspx?id=43264

FindQoologic reveals all the responsible files. Once you got them, you can use killbox, to delete all the files on reboot.
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#5 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2005 - 04:15 AM

Since this issue appears resolved ... this Topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending the moderating team
a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users