Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unable to connect to home network

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jpd9930

jpd9930

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:12 AM

Network route:

Motorola SB5101N (cable)
Router TP-Link Wr841ND N with wireless QSS
WLAN router Linksys BEFSR41 4 port wired only
Computer: D-link DGE-530T 1GB NIC

1 other computer (the one I connecting with) has almost no problem connecting to the web.

1 of the 3 computers on this network has lost total connection even with a static IP. I have changed the
cable and router port with a know good one but not the NIC card. It worked fine until a few days ago.

Repair doesnt work when set to obtain IP but will when set to static. either way I still dont have a

connection to the network or internet. taking the network down doesnt help. I have run quick scan for Dr.

web, SAS, MBAM and ATF.

I am able to ping the nic (127.0.0.1)... I am not able to ping my router or any other IP..

ipconfig gives me 169.254.49.xxx with subnet 255.255.0.0...(read this might be a IPjacking) I am unable

to ping that IP from another PC.. that IP is out of my routers DHCP IP address defaults.....using a static IP within those limits does not help...

Removed NIC and rebooted, shutdown and replaced NIC. didnt help

"default gateway could not be resolved via ARP" using IE diagnose problem.

NIC shows normal LED activity...router shows normal LED lights and activity assoc with 1GB NIC. Swapping ports in routers didnt help...

newest driver installed. able to ping self but nothing else on network.

CMD:
ipconfig /release 0.0.0.0 ip, 0.0.0.0 subnet mask
ipconfig /renew "an error occured while renewing "connection" : Unable to connect to DHCP server. Request has timed out"
defaults back to above IP address (169.254.49.xxx) and subnet mask.

ran this: netsh int ip reset c:\netsh-resetlog.txt

Set linkage\upperBind for PCI, USB, PCI, and Root entries....returned "bad value was:

reg_multi_sz=PShed" I saw a IP for a static value I put in earlier. Currently set to obtain remotely. I
can post the entire log if you like.

hooked computer directly to modem with a modem hard boot and got internet connection....

Changed routing of PC as follows and was able to connect:

Motorola SB5101N
Router TP-Link Wr841ND N with wireless QSS
Computer Dlink DGE-530T 1GB NIC

Disabled DHCP server and rebooted router...reconnected cables to original config....connected to internet...

rebooted network other than laptop....entire network offline after reboot.....unable to repair IP on target computer..unable to connect to router....

reset router to DHCP enable...all systems came back online other than object of this thread....

I'd like to fix my problem rather than do the work around.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:48 PM

is cable modem plugged into Router TP-Link Wr841ND N with wireless QSS or WLAN router Linksys BEFSR41 4 port wired only ?

#3 jpd9930

jpd9930
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:02 PM

modem--->TP link----->lynksys------> computer

but I have this computer (im writing from) wired the same way.... and I have very few problems with this computer. I have switched ports between these 2 computers but that doesnt help at all...

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:27 PM

modem -->possible cross-over cable ? ---> (WAN port)TP link, DHCP enabled, WAN active (some routers allow port to be used as WAN or LAN and the setting is in the software ---> linksys DHCP disabled, disable WAN so LAN active ---> computer configured to obtain IP automatically.

with only three computers, why are you using the linksys as a switch ? won't they all fit in the TP link ?

#5 jpd9930

jpd9930
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:59 PM

Crossover cable? (using cat5) not sure what you mean..... modem plugged into dedicated WAN port on TP-Link, DHCP enabled, I think the WNAN is active...it has an IP and different MAC than the LAN as well as DNS primary and 2nd.

How about a hint on how to check my linksys. I tried disconnecting the TP-link and entering .1.1 but it didnt see the lynksys. (Sometimes when both routers are in the loop the lynksys menus would come up rather than the TP-link). The connection between the 2 routers is LAN out to LAN in. If I go LAN out to WAN in I dont have a network connection. I have not tried modem--->linksys--->TPlink---->computers.. and as a reminder this computer is routed the same as the one that wont connect.

All computers set to obtain auto...

I have a 4 computers, LAN printer (canon MP620B), and we have a game consule that can connect. I sometimes wire the laptop. Was looking at 8 port switch but would prefer to not add $50 to my mounting costs.

The desktop that wont connect did connect until recently ( will check the NIC in the morning). I have not done updates or changed settings prior to having this issue.

#6 jpd9930

jpd9930
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:39 AM

something very strange just happened.... after I posted this I check a local computer store for a nic card....after I closed that window I was unable to connect to the internet. I tried to renew but it didnt work

DNS failure

----

Last diagnostic run time: 06/08/10 01:06:19 DNS Client Diagnostic
DNS - Not a home user scenario

info Using Web Proxy: no
info Resolving name ok for (www.microsoft.com): no
warn Unrecognized WinSock NSP: mdnsNSP
No DNS servers

DNS failure

info Query [www.microsoft.com] against DNS Server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, (Type = 0x1, Options = 0x10e8) returns 0x5b4
action Automated repair: Renew IP address
action Releasing the current IP address...
action Successfully released the current IP address
action Renewing the IP address...
action Successfully renewed the current IP address
info Query [www.microsoft.com] against DNS Server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, (Type = 0x1, Options = 0x10e8) returns 0x5b4
info Redirecting user to support call

I was about to reboot but decided to check my router....
I was able to connect to TP-link and found an entry in my DHCP client list as "unknown"...It was not present earlier when I checked router settings for the previous post. it has a valid IP Address....I am not able to ping the IP...or anything connected to the network other than this system..I can ping out....3 of the 4 computers connected (wired including the laptop) to the network can reach the internet and ping yahoo.com. I have another connection I have to investigate as it is listed as an IPod...doesnt look fishy at this point other than I dont have a computer with IPod in the name.

Anyway I can interigate that connection?

(Unknown 00-20-78-D6-92-36 xxx.xxx.x.xx3 47:09:31)

I had to take the whole network down this morning to go get back on line.....I have 4 wired computers running on this network but only 2 show up even though I have activity on all connected ports...

Edited by jpd9930, 08 June 2010 - 06:11 AM.

#7 jpd9930

jpd9930
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:51 PM

I think I may have fixed the problem...my linksys router was set to with DHCP enabled....corrected and everything seems stable at this point. Laptop is connected without 100% CPU usage, offline PC on line again....no random LAN connectivity drops....

thanks for your help!!!!

#8 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:01 PM

hope this is it. both routers have the same default IP of 192.168.1.1 , subnet mask of TP-link 255.255.255.0 , change linksys IP to 192.168.1.2 , subnet mask should match TP-link.

dns servers address's - call ISP to get them or possibly listed on one of their web pages or google (yourISP dns servers) enter them in the TP-link.

maybe the unknown is the router with the same IP or if you do not have security set up for wireless it could be a piggy-backer (neighbor).

cross-over cable is cat5 with a couple of wires switched around. older modems required them, newer ones can use either cross-over or straight through. if it required cross-over and you used straight through you would get nowhere, so the cable you are using must be ok since you are able to connect.

manual for TP-link http://www.tp-link.com/english/soft/2009101615370511.pdf
manual for linksys http://downloads.linksysbycisco.com/downlo..._UG_A-WEB,0.pdf this is for ver.4.3, check linksys site if yours is different version.

#9 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:39 PM

either i was slow or you were fast with that post !
glad you got it working.

#10 jpd9930

jpd9930
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:43 AM

Everything has been good since my last post. feel free to close this thread.

Thanks for all your help!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users