Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I install and run Combofix?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 kcgirl1313

kcgirl1313

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:36 PM

I am not sure if I should install and run Combofix...I hope someone here can assist me in determining that...So, here is my ongoing problem....the shortened version...lol

I have had a few viruses, trojans, malware, spyware and maybe a few other things affecting my computer for the last month. I am not sure if i still have these viruses or not. I have tried getting rid of them, and it seems they are gone until i reboot my system again only to find that i am right back to the "Desktop Recovery" screen. It's even taken over my browser and surprisingly enough, my email address. and i am contantly re directed to another website, windows will just pop open for no reason, And I now have to copy and paste the links into the URL bar because i can't click directly. Also, my computer runs sluggish, is sometimes slow, and sometimes freezes...But, not always...

I can't get rid of whatever it is that has infected my computer completely. I have ran System Restore 4 times, without any success.

I have downloaded almost every protection program out there and nothing helps. I am about to dump the system, if i can figure out how. Or, someone suggested to install and run Combofix. But, when i attempt to download it, I get an error message that states the following...

Windows cannot open this file:
File: nircmd.cfxxe

To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer.

What do you want to do?

Use the Web service to find the appropriate program
or
Select the program from a list OK Cancel

I am unsure of what to do at this point. I try to "find the appropriate program". But, it just directs me to Windows file association, and does nothing at that point..

So far i have downloaded and ran all of the following programs....

~PC Doctor....did not help, and even paid for it
~Threatfire....did not help
~Microsoft Security Essentials....Can not help..seems it relies on an IE connection, and something is wrong with IE, it will not connect, and download the updates...Even tried downloading them manually...
~CCleaner......Does not seem to help either
~Windows Defender...did not help
~HitmanPro 3.5- did not help
~GMER- not sure how to even use it?

My Computer information is as follows:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002, Service Pack 3
Computer Type: IX CIU, Intel/Pentium 4 CPU

I hope someone can help me. I know this is two topics. But, they seem to be one issue bundled together..So, i thank you for your help, in advance!

Edited by kcgirl1313, 05 June 2010 - 11:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:26 AM

Download Malwarebytes Here , update and run a full scan -
Remove all those other programs except for Microsoft Security Essentials -
Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections > Lan Settings - Make sure that the Top Box is ticked and untick the others -

Do not run Combofix unless an expert directs you to -

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:31 AM

ComboFix usage, Questions, Help - Look here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/273628/combofix-usage-questions-help-look-here/

To assure you proper guidance on your malware issues, I am moving this topic to the Am I Infected forum.

Louis

#4 kcgirl1313

kcgirl1313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:26 PM

Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections > Lan Settings - Make sure that the Top Box is ticked and untick the others -

Thanks for your help....

Okay, I downloaded and installed www.malwarebytes.org and it stated i had 4 infections. I then uninstalled and deleted all the other programs except for MSE. I then, ran and removed the infections. But, when i get online and try to click on a website link it still redirects me. and it is still opening windows that i did not ask to open.

Is there anything else i can do?

Edited by kcgirl1313, 06 June 2010 - 01:28 PM.

#5 kcgirl1313

kcgirl1313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:21 AM

Thanks for your help....

Okay, I downloaded and installed www.malwarebytes.org and it stated i had 4 infections. I then uninstalled and deleted all the other programs except for MSE. I then, ran and removed the infections. But, when i get online and try to click on a website link it still redirects me. and it is still opening windows that i did not ask to open.

Is there anything else i can do?

Well, nobody ever came back to let me know what to do next...So, i re-posted and now am getting the help i need...Not sure how to delete...

Thanks!

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:37 AM

Well, nobody ever came back to let me know what to do next...So, i re-posted and now am getting the help i need...Not sure how to delete...

Thanks!

kdgirl1313, The people helping you are all volunteers. They do check topics they are replying in when they get online. I know it's frustrating to have computer problems but you have to be patient and wait for someone to get back to the topic.

Reposting causes confusion when it comes to giving you the help you need. If you look at this topic, and your re-posted topic, you will see 2 different people offering help. Someone replying here may not know about the other topic, and vice-versa. You could receive conflicting information, which does you no good.

At least you did let us know about the other topic, which is HERE, where a member of the Malware Response Team is helping you
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/322171/mozilla-redirect/

In order to keep it streamlined and in one place, I will request that a moderator close this topic.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 June 2010 - 09:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users