Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for feedback for a Jack-of-all-Trades system

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 robert77

robert77

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:36 PM

About 5 years ago I put together my first system. Didn't really know what I was doing at the time and I'm sure it wasn't fully optimized, but it's served me well. Now it's seriously outdated and I'm looking to build another one. Still a pretty serious newbie on this subject, but I'm hoping to be a little more informed this time around. I asked around a little and was recommended the following setup, but aside from positive Newegg reviews I really don't know if this is a good system... any feedback you guys might have would be much appreciated.

The rig will be for a variety of uses - some light to moderate audio/video editing & encoding, graphic design, various productivity and internet apps, etc. Decent gaming capability would be great, but not a priority. Some future upgrade path would be ideal. My budget is $800-1000, the setup below comes to around $915 on Newegg.

I already have a mouse, keyboard, dvd drive, monitor, speakers. Will be upgrading those piecemeal in the future.

Here's the build so far:

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

ASRock 880G EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGMBOX

XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model AD3U1333B2G9-DRH

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

Any thoughts or advice on this? Many thanks in advance...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:25 AM

Looks fine to me, but I usually don't suggest people use a single massive hard drive for everything. Instead, have the OS and applications installed on a smaller drive and data on another. If one fails, something will remain. A 750W PSU is a bit overkill for this system. Even if you were to Crossfire a higher-end Radeon 5850, 600W would be needed. If you see yourself keeping a single GPU, you may want to scale back the PSU to 500W, 600W if you want to Crossfire. I suggest the OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W. That's also a great motherboard, but it has an on-board GPU. If you don't need it, you can go for a less expensive 870 chipset, like the ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 which is nearly identical.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users