Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my laptop's DVD burner crapping out? I'm getting "power calibration errors".

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Finlay

Dave Finlay

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:53 PM

I got me a slim DVD burner (Lite-On if I recall) over a year ago for this hand-me-down laptop I'd gotten from my brother. It's been working well, and I've burned dozens of CDs and DVDs with it.......up until recently. I've tried to burn some files to dual-layer DVDs with Nero, and get a "power calibration error" that kills the burning and gives me coasters. I tried burning with CopytoDVD and even though the project is shown as having been burned, nothing appears when I open up the DVD via My Computer. Otherwise, the burner reads and recognizes other CD/DVDs (burned or otherwise) just fine. Is it the burner or the media (Memorex DVDs and DL-DVDs, many of which I've burned w/this drive with no problems before)???

Speaking of this laptop.........it's a 5+ year old laptop, or rather a "compact desktop" (Win XP, P4 HT @3.2 Ghz, 1GB DDR2 RAM upgradeable to 4GB, 74 GB HD). A CLEVO to be exact. It has a lot of neato features (17' screen, card reader, S-Video output, capture card) that has made me keep it around. It's been starting to chug however (it survived a tour in Iraq......no joke), and I'm contemplating sticking 2 gigs of RAM in it (the only worthwhile upgrade I can give it at this point). Is this investment worth it, or should I save my money for a better laptop? I'm getting into video editing/production, and often capture footage from TV and my gaming consoles, so I'm fearing that a laptop up to this task would cost too much for my broke college student ass. Not too much, if at all into PC gaming, though I do like to run a lot of console emulators at full settings. Then again, have even the cheapest laptops nowadays surpassed the specs of my current one?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dave Finlay

Dave Finlay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:02 PM

Anyone? :thumbsup:

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:04 PM

I suspect, burning laser may be out.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users