Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless and Hardwire Connections Indicate Connected but I can't get on the Internet

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JAEB

JAEB

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:41 PM

I don't know anything about computers.

I changed the state I was located in two days ago, there all was fine. I was using a local wireless connection without a problem. I have a Dell laptop, Inspiron E1405, XP SP3, Dell wireless card.

1) However, I was trying to connect to another wi-fi signal now. This time, although the network connections indicator says the signal is "Very Strong" and that I am connected, I cannot access the Internet. I noticed that I was connecting to a signal that was 'channel 11'. In the past I was usually connecting to wi-fi on 'Channel 6'. The browser I use, Firefox 3.6, says it's loading, and then "Cannot find server". I don't know what the problem could be. In the past if there was a problem like this, I would get a good signal, but a balloon would appear that would say 'little or no connectivity', and there was no functioning connection. This time there are no balloons. Everything looks normal, but there isn't a connection. What do I do here? Can I change the receiving channel on my laptop?

2) The other problem is using the ethernet connection. Broadcom 440x 10/100. It used to work. I had tripped over the cable and bent the cable port. However it remained usable--I would have to reposition the cable end every so often. I avoided using it when I was able to get a good wi-fi signal, that was for about 3 months, really, it wasn't necessary to use a cable. Now when I try connecting with the cable (I use Roadrunner), it doesn't light up (the blinking lights next to the cable port). A friend's Dell computer works fine on the service, so it doesn't seem to be the service modem or the cable that's the problem. Someone else suggested uninstalling and reinstalling the card, but that didn't work. The properties say it's functioning normally, but no blinking lights. Something that seemed weird was that under network connections, I get the choice to enable, but when I do, I get a red X on the icon. When I DISable it, the red X is gone. It was the same before and after I reinstalled the Broadcom. Is this reversed? Is my ethernet card broken? Does it need to be replaced?

My next move is to get a wi-fi modem for my cable. I had held off, but now it seems necessary.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myRiad_spartans

myRiad_spartans

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:05 AM

Hello Jaeb

For your 1st problem I'm assuming you have a wireless router. You need someone to connect a working computer to the router with a cable and access it via its IP address. From there you should see what settings the router is configured to, so you can use the same settings on your laptop.

For your 2nd problem my only recommendation is to swap the network card with a known working model. Try to borrow one instead of buying because this is only for testing.

Feel free to update this thread if there is anything that you don't understand

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users