Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless USB causing 100% CPU usage


  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jpd9930

jpd9930

  • Members
  • 221 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:45 PM

Hi All, (sorry for the rambling but I am adding info as I check on things...)

I have been having problems with my wireless for sometime now...SO I replaced my Router (to: TP-Link TR-TL841ND N) and wireless card ( TP-Link TL-WN821N). I also replaced my motorola modem (SB5101N). I have a old Linksys BEFSR41 4 port wired router to give me enough ports for all my stuff. both TP-Links support QSS ( dont know how to use it). Memory use is erratic with a 25-50MB swings in a fairly stable wave. Laptop is running XP Pro, 1GB ram and 1GH processor.


My laptop will be at 2-5% CPU until I plug in my wireless card. It then shots to 95-100% usage. The main culprits are system and Task manager or IE and sysem when I have a IE window open.

I also am having my wireless dropped. It will usually recover without intervention.

I have the router in a location that is free from metal in a 5' radius. No metal beams in the house...just standard construction.

I have run Dr. Web, MBAM, SAS and ATF cleaner. All are clean.


this relatively new issue on an established home network. I have run the new router disk on only 1 of the 4 computers that connect to it...I did run he wireless disk on the laptop...not sure if I updated the laptop with the newest driver for the wireless card. I have the newest firmware for the router but have not installed it yet

In a related issue ( I will create a new thread to address that issue once I have this one cleared up) I randomly loose internect connect on 3 wired PC's or cant connect a random website. right now 1 of the 3 has lost total connection even with a static IP. I have changed the cable and router port with a know good one but not the NIC card. It worked fine until a few days ago. Alot of the time repair doesnt work and I have to take the network down and reboot everything. This doesnt work for the one that wont connect. I have not run full scan on Dr Web but everything else listed above.

Let also say I went to a local hotspot and had no problems with CPU usage or connectivity for about 30min...My Ipod touch also freezes when connected to the home network but not others...

Edited by jpd9930, 06 June 2010 - 12:58 PM.


BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

  • Members
  • 773 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:El Paso
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:27 PM

Common problem with internet explorer. Make sure you have all your windows updates.

Gavin Seabrook

 


#3 jpd9930

jpd9930
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 221 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:34 PM

ran the update module (wired) and I have no Hi-Pri updates (Auto updates on and set to daily). Correction: I have 2.3Ghz processor and the mem usage is a 50-100M swing.

tonight I couldnt connect to my network wirelessly for over an hour...tried all combos of power, remove/reinsert wireless card, repair, connect from wireless network connections, and password enter. It then suddenly started to work in a degraded mode. (very slow connection speed)

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

  • Members
  • 773 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:El Paso
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:02 AM

You stated that you haven't applied the newest firmware but that you do have it. Go ahead and place the new firmware to the router and then set your wireless channel to 11. See if this helps

Gavin Seabrook

 


#5 jpd9930

jpd9930
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 221 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:49 PM

I'm not sure at this point but I think I may have fixed my problem...even though it grew over time it seems that having my linksys DHCP enabled was causing issues...I have corrected that I can get 4 computers, wired and wireless printer and a ipod all connected at the same time with good connectivity.

only problem left now is getting my printer to actually work...but that is problem for canon and not bleepingcomputers [fingers crossed] as I need input on set changing from wired to wireless....BTW it was my printer that was [UNKOWN].

thanks for your time...it really did help as I started to think of more obvious stuff...thanks

#6 jpd9930

jpd9930
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 221 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:44 AM

everything has been working fine since my last post. Thanks for your help and feel free to close this thread....




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users