Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get Windows Updates

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 misssbb

misssbb

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:18 AM

I think my problem started when I got a message that looks like it's from Microsoft that says The Host Process for Windows Services is not Working and I clicked on it to see what was up. Another window opened that said I needed to update but when I clicked on that it didn't take me to anywhere that did that. Then it was completely impossible to access the real Microsoft site (altho there were plenty of options that looked like they were Microsoft) and that's when the redirect problems started.

I've run malwarebytes, spybot, and ESET and the first time they found things which I repaired but the problem was still there. I ran them again and they all come up clean, but I still have the problem. And this morning I received the warning again. I'm extremely technologically challenged and I've read some of the advice you've given other people and the advice others have contributed and following it is way above my paygrade. What do I do? Is there something I might could buy that would work?

Just this very second I got something that said Windows was checking to see if it could fix the problem or something like that - I left it open so I could give you the exact wording but it closed itself.

Edited by misssbb, 02 June 2010 - 03:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 misssbb

misssbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:45 PM

I can't get Windows Updates either but do not get any message when I boot up. I have Vista Home Basic. Will these instructions work for me?

I can't create a file on my C drive because it says only an administrator can do that. I am the only person who uses this computer and I never set myself up as an administrator. What do I do now?

Edited by misssbb, 05 June 2010 - 01:40 PM.

#3 misssbb

misssbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:29 PM

Vista Home Basic. Have spybot, malwarebytes, spywareterminator, AVG, Iobit, advanced systam care, key scrambler, scotty, and some sort of script protector or something that is the only thing that has given me relief from the redirect problem (I can tell I still have it tho). Oh, and I run ESET every day.

How do I get my windows update turned back on? I've gone to the Security Center and tried to do it there, but it won't work. Just so you know, I am EXTREMELY technologically blonde so it has to be something really simple - I've read some of the other posts and the suggested fixes and they are so way above my pay grade that I was lost after the first two sentences.

Thank you.

#4 misssbb

misssbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:14 PM

I have Vista Home Basic on a Dell laptop. How do I get my windows update turned back on? I've gone to the Security Center and tried to do it there, but it won't work.

I'm pretty sure it happened when I fell for that "Host Process for Windows Services has stopped working", I clicked on it, was taken to what I know now was a fake update page and it was all downhill from there. Website redirects like crazy (it's kinda fixed), no more Windows updates and there could be more I'm not even aware of..

Have spybot, malwarebytes, spywareterminator, AVG, Iobit, advanced systam care, key scrambler, scotty, and some sort of script protector or something that is the only thing that has given me relief from the redirect problem (I can tell I still have it tho). Oh, and I run ESET every day.

Just so you know, I am technologically challenged; a friend installed nearly all of the spyware/malware stuff for me.

Thank you.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 05 June 2010 - 06:16 PM.
Merged 3 topics. ~ OB

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:25 PM

Hello I've put your posts in one topic..

Let's start here:

Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

Next run ATF and SAS: If you cannot access Safe Mode,run in normal ,but let me know.

Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

From your regular user account..
Download Attribune's ATF Cleaner and then SUPERAntiSpyware , Free Home Version. Save both to desktop ..
DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program. DO NOT run yet.

Now reboot into Safe Mode: How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox or Opera browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program

NOW Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.

Please ask any needed questions,post logs and Let us know how the PC is running now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 misssbb

misssbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:20 PM

Thank you boopme for such detailed information, I appreciate your taking the time to write it and I hope it helps other folks who might read it. The bad news is, it is so far above my paygrade that I can't get any further than the malwarebytes part. I have that running everyday already. As I mentioned, I have Vista Home Basic, not XP, so that presents a roadblock too.

Something called Trojan Scanner found something called E:\autorun.inf and I googled it and that fix is equally complex. Not one other program I have found it: AVG, malwarebytes, spybot, spywareterminator, HitmanPro, Iobit, HijackThis, ESET Emisoft or scotty. Not a one of them. How is it that all of them missed this one,not to mention the other problems I have? Apparently it gets into things like external hard drives and ready boost sticks too.

The two major problems that I know for sure I have (there could be more I'm unaware of) are that I can't link to anything from google, I have to copy & paste or manually type in the URL, and I can't get Windows updates. Just a couple of days ago, an icon appeared in my tray that says it's Windows Updates, but the icon doesn't look familiar and the balloon that says updates are available has a yellow shield with an exclamation mark in it. I don't remember that ever happening before, so I think it's a scam and am ignoring it. Went to the Microsoft website to get an update and couldn't get it to work, so something is clearly very wrong.

A friend of mine is willing to run ComboFix for me (he has done it before and is someone who really knows what he's doing) and asked me to ask you, before he takes all the time it will take him to do it, if you think it will work? Will it clean up the external hard drive and the ready-boost stick too? If not, what do you suggest? He says I should get rid of Vista and he'll install Linux and Open Office. Is this a viable solution?

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:42 PM

Hello,it appears you have a serious infection. Two things to consider.. ONE: fromthe blue text above this forum... When posting your problem, do not run and post a ComboFix log. ComboFix is a tool that should only be run under the supervision of someone who has been trained in its use. Using it on your own can cause problems with your computer.
That said It can work or it can kill your PC. That is why we ask it be used with an assistant.

Now that said a rinstall may be the best thing for you.. Now if you are looking at Linux and Open Office,well that woould work work too.

If you want BC to clean it... Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Let me know if that went well.

Edited by boopme, 16 June 2010 - 03:43 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 misssbb

misssbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:32 PM

Thank you very much. I have sent him the link to this page and I'm sure he will find it useful. One of us will let you know if it worked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users