Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive(s) not appearing in Disk Management

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 PartEleven

PartEleven

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:03 PM

Technically this is external hardware I'm dealing with, but it is over eSata connection which should be the same as an internal sata device.

Problem Summary: I have sata hard drives in a multi-bay external enclosure that do not show up at all in Windows Explorer OR Disk Management when connected using eSata. They only show up in device manager.

Detailed Background: I'm using a Mediasonic HF2-SU2S2 Pro Box in eSata mode connected to a cheapo PCI-E x1 add-in card with Silicon Image SiI 3132 chipset. The OS is Windows XP SP3. My exact problem is that the hard drives will appear in device manger under the "disk drives" category, but no where else. They do not appear in Windows Explorer or Disk Management at all. These drives are formatted properly and have data on them. In fact, I have been using these same drives in the same enclosure in USB mode. Poking around in device manager it seems like the volume information on these drives is not being detected properly. If i right-click on hard disk in device manger, go to properties, and click on the volume tab, I get the following message when trying the "populate" button:

Volume information for this disk cannot be found. This may happen if the disk is a 1394 or USB device on a Windows 2000 machine

I also see that in the driver tab, the "driver details" button shows that windows has NOT associated disk.sys as a driver file. All my internal drives (and my drives on my other systems) ALL have disk.sys in the driver details. I think this might be the cause of my problems, but I don't know how to make windows to use this driver file. I've tried the "update driver" option and telling Windows to search specifically in the C:\Windows\system32\drivers folder but it just returns:

This hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software.

Is there some way I can FORCE disk.sys to be associated with the drives?

Things I Know/Tried:
1. The PCIe card has been flashed to the latest non-raid BIOS and drivers updated.
2. I am absolutely positive the hard drives are formatted and functioning properly.
3. The SiI 3132 chipset on the PCIe controller card supports port multiplier and sata hot swap.
4. OS is Win XP SP3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:43 PM

Use this driver with the latest BASE BIOS to access non-RAID hard disk drives, CD-ROMs, CDRWs, DVD-ROMs, and DVD-RWs. Latest SiI3132 BIOS:7.4.05; Please see the latest SiI3132 documents.

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/search...id=32&cat=3

Edited by DaChew, 05 June 2010 - 10:48 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:48 AM

If the card's bios and driver are all kosher? Did you try another esata cable?
Chewy

#4 PartEleven

PartEleven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:49 AM

Well I was trying really hard to avoid that reply about updating drivers, but oh well. Yes I've done that. Those drivers are for the controller card, and I've updated that completely. As far as I can tell, the controller card is working fine. I'll try a different cable, but I doubt that's the issue.

I'm fairly certain it's Windows not properly associating driver files for the hard disks themselves in device manager. If I go and manually uninstall them (talking about the actual hard disks here, not the PCIe controller), scan for hardware changes, and reinstall them by telling Windows to search for drivers "automatically", it SOMETIMES works. The driver details page shows disk.sys properly associated and the driver shows up in Windows Explorer. But this only happens sometimes. And it stops working again when I unplug the drives and plug them back in (or reboot).

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:14 AM

How did you flash the bios?

http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/SII-TT-0003.pdf
Chewy

#6 PartEleven

PartEleven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:04 PM

That's the document I followed. I used the "Flash BIOS" tab in the properties menu box from device manager. If that process botched that up the card would be rendered completely unusable.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:13 PM

If that process botched that up the card would be rendered completely unusable.

I don't see your logic at all.

Bios flashes for motherboards and firmware upgrades for dvd burners are more my field of expertiese, but any of them can glitch with completely unpredictable results and a reflash will usually fix it.

I am old school and usually try to do stuff like this from dos if possible, dvd burners from safe mode, etc.
Chewy

#8 PartEleven

PartEleven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:39 PM

Maybe I don't know enough about it, but I was under the impression if the bios doesn't get flashed properly, then the device gets completely bricked without any way of interacting with it.

Anyways I've tried a different cable, but no luck there. I've reflashed the bios a few times using the device manager properties tab, as well as their windows command line flash utility. Still doesn't work. The only thing left to try in regards to bios flashing is the native DOS updflash utility, but I really don't think that will solve the problem. The bios updates look like they're working properly, and the controller card is working fine as far as I can tell.

#9 PartEleven

PartEleven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:31 PM

Well I'd like to add an update, in hopes that someone out there has a solution. I believe that this is definitely a windows driver issue. I've tried a plugging the pci-e controller card and the multi-bay hard drive enclosure into a different computer and it works perfectly. All drives are detected and are working normally. At this point I am positive that my buggy computer is not associating the correct drive files when I power up the drives. In particular, disk.sys is not being loaded up. Does anyone out there have a solution for this? Please?

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:52 PM

A motherboard chipset driver?
Chewy

#11 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:35 PM

If the drives all show up in windows explorer and disk management and you have used them to access and copy files via usb then the windows drivers are not at fault. The problem lies in the add in card.

You have not said if the card appears in device manager should be under scsi and raid controllers and there are no exclamation marks or question marks.

Check you have installed the correct base driver and correct bios b#### bin file non raid.

Check that card is seated correctly take it out and reseat.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#12 PartEleven

PartEleven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:17 AM

I won't have time to revisit this problem for a while, but thanks for the advice. I'll try updating or reinstalling the motherboard chipset drivers. I'm positive it's that "disk.sys" file that's not being loaded properly.

If the drives all show up in windows explorer and disk management and you have used them to access and copy files via usb then the windows drivers are not at fault. The problem lies in the add in card.

You have not said if the card appears in device manager should be under scsi and raid controllers and there are no exclamation marks or question marks.

Check you have installed the correct base driver and correct bios b#### bin file non raid.

Check that card is seated correctly take it out and reseat.

Yes the card shows up properly under "SCSI and RAID controllers" in device manager. No exclamation marks. Yes I mentioned in the first post that I've installed the non-raid bios. I'm using base drivers. I really doubt that it's the controller card, since I took this setup and got it working fine on another computer. Essentially I just swapped the computer out, and it works. The hard drives will show up in device manager under "disk drives", but for some reason windows won't load the volume information. The only way the controller could be at fault would be that it works fine in Vista SP 32-bit but not XP SP3 32-bit. Either that or the drivers for the XP are broken. Doesn't look that way though.

The reason why I'm so set on this being a windows driver/detection problem is that this system for some odd reason will not be able to automatically load up drivers for basic even usb devices. Like a flash drive. If I attach a new flash drive, windows will start the standard "installing new hardware" routine and search for drivers. Except it always fails and I have to manually tell the add hardware wizard to search for drivers in C:\Windows\system32\drivers or else it won't find them.

Edited by PartEleven, 23 June 2010 - 12:18 AM.

#13 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 06:37 AM

You could try disabling the on chip primary and secondary pci ide under integrated periphals or similar depending on your bios version since you are using a HD controller card.

A quickie on usb try uninstalling the drivers and re-installing in device manager.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:51 AM

I would uninstall the controller drivers...reboot and then reinstall same.

If the drives don't show in Disk Management...it has to be the controller card that is the problem. About the only other reason why the drives would not be reflected in Disk Management would be a problem with one which prevents the controller card from recognizing any drives. I've never seen that.

I just went through an analogous problem with my mp3 player...it showed in Device Manager, but did not show up in My Computer.

I uninstalled it in DM, rebooted, then reconnected it and...it was properly reflected in My Computer.

Have you tried clicking on the controller in Device Manager...and updating the driver?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users