Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New SATA Hard Drive not detected

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 duenas77

duenas77

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:23 PM

OK. I did search and googled it but did not find an adequate topic or post about it.

My computer is not very new. I bought it from Fry's in 2004. It is a GQ 5090 runnig Windows XP home sp3 MoBo is 661FX-M with a 40g IDE Hard drive. It does have two SATA connectors. I just bought one Seagate 750gb SATA Hard Drive and connected it to the SATA 1 port but the computer doesn't show it. I went to BIOS and looked for a SATA option but there is none.

The Standard CMOS features only shows:
IDE Channel 0: Master [my dvd burner]
IDE Channel 0: Slave [my other dvd burner]
IDE Channel 1: Master [my IDE 40gs hard drive]
IDE Channel 1: Slave [none]
IDE Channel 2: Master [none]
IDE Channel 3: Master [none]

And so on. Or something very similar, I don't remember exaclty.

I went to Integrated Peripherials>SIS OnChip PCI Device>

And it says:
(After many other options)
SiS Serial ATA Controller [Enabled]
SiS Serial ATA Mode [IDE]

I hit enter on [IDE] and it gives me two choices

[IDE]
[Raid]

I changed it to [Raid] and when it boots it gives me another option of confiiguring Raid but I couldn't do it. I tried it but I do not know how to. I don't know if I was suppossed to see the drive or not, I just didn't see it. I let it boot all the way to windows and tried to find it from there but I couldn't either. I didn't see the drive nor in BIOS, nor in the Cofigure Raid Option at boot up nor from Windows.

This would be the very first time I try to install a SATA hd in my life, and my motherboard is running from an IDE hard drive so I probably just don't know how to do it. Any advices?

Edited by duenas77, 05 June 2010 - 06:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:32 PM

You could try loading the chipset/SATA/RAID drivers for that board. Be sure not to configure the BIOS for RAID (not necessary), just install the RAID drivers (which I think are the same as the SATA drivers).

RAID/SATA Driver Download.

Or you can use the motherboard CD to load it.

I have had (still have) a number of ECS boards :thumbsup:.

Be sure not to configure the BIOS for RAID (not necessary), just install the RAID drivers (which I think are the same as the SATA drivers).

I would then reboot the system...check the BIOS to see if the SATA drives are now detected...and then move on.

Louis
<<I hit enter on [IDE] and it gives me two choices

[IDE]
[Raid]>>

Select IDE. You don't want RAID.

Edited by hamluis, 06 June 2010 - 02:35 PM.

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:09 PM

Your motherboard only supports SATA 1.5 [ original sata], your new hard drive is SATA 3.0 [SATA 2].

Look on the end of the drive where the cables go & there should be a recessed area with 4 pins.
A jumper has to be put between 2 of the pins to make it backward compatible with SATA 1.5
Once the jumper is right the drive should be recognized

Edited by fairjoeblue, 06 June 2010 - 09:11 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:01 AM

Your motherboard only supports SATA 1.5 [ original sata], your new hard drive is SATA 3.0 [SATA 2].

Look on the end of the drive where the cables go & there should be a recessed area with 4 pins.
A jumper has to be put between 2 of the pins to make it backward compatible with SATA 1.5
Once the jumper is right the drive should be recognized

Good catch, I ended up going to a mac store to find that durn little jumper for a seagate 500

http://www.seagate.com/images/support/en/u..._sata_block.gif
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 chooch502

chooch502

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:40 PM

Duenas
Dont know if this this helps but I had a similar problem with an Abit MB from 2004 or pretty close. Tried to use it as a server by installing a 1TB HD. It had an ide HD in a previous build but also had sata ports. Ends up from all I could gather the drivers for sata wouldn't work for HDs bigger than 500GB. 1TB was just a dream in 2004.Might try an add on PCI Sata Controller card .
Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users