Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop touchpad mouse pointer making dotted squares

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Firetooth

Firetooth

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:01 PM

Hi All,

I have a Dell Latitude laptop, Windows XP Pro Sp3, with Avast, Zonealarm, Malwarebytes, Spybot Search and Destroy, Spywareblaster.

The pointer function became problematic a few months ago when it would jump into the corners and try to stay there. After doing some reading it seemed that the touchpad may have been be wearing out, and the mechanical interface inside could have been the problem. I solved this by keeping the laptop tilted when I use it, and have had no further problems with a jumping mouse.

Last week a new problem with the pointer began. After the computer has been on for a few minutes it makes pale dotted rectangles when I move it around on my basic screen. In the recycle bin it creates pale blue rectangles. When I am using a program it tends to highlight things. I am not always able to get rid of the highlighted stuff and just have to close the window. It feels like the mouse and the left click button are not always communicating. If I move the pointer over a desktop icon it is likely to drag it across the screen for awhile.

So far I have run all my security programs with nothing found, including the Avast boot scan.

I would love to fix this problem myself if possible. Let me know if you need further info!

Thanks!
Firetooth

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:30 AM

Have you tried simply uninstalling the touchpad drivers (via Device Manager) and then reinstalling same?

Louis

#3 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:01 PM

I was hesitant to uninstall/reinstall the drivers because I was afraid I couldn't navigate--no longer having a mouse pointer-- where I needed to go to reinstall once I uninstalled the drivers. But it seems this is okay, per your post, so I will try it!

Thanks!

Edited by Firetooth, 06 June 2010 - 04:02 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:47 PM

Rebooting the system should reinstall the drivers automatically :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:30 PM

I have forgotten how to get to device manager! Please help! Thanks!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:32 PM

:thumbsup:, no problem.

Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Or...right-click on My Computer, select Properties, go to Hardware tab.

Louis

#7 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:14 PM

thanks Louis! the uninstall/reinstall drivers went very easily.

the problem seems possibly a bit better.

here is what I now observe: single or double-tapping in the touchpad area tends not to do anything. I have to use the right or left click buttons to cause screens to change, programs to open, etc. I am able to close Firefox by tapping at times.

there is still a tendency to highlight things.

there is still a tendency to leave dotted rectangular outlines when I move the pointer, but somewhat better. By making the square very small and then left clicking I can stop the process for a little while.

the responsiveness between the pointer and the left click button seems better.

Let me know if this gives you any further clues as to what is going on. Thanks again!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:29 PM

I hate touchpads, I just attach a mouse and use it...not much advice I could ever offer anyone about this issue :thumbsup:.

You might try running chkdsk /r on your system partition and then defragging the system partition...the system will act a bit crazy when in need of routine maintenance.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen query and hit Enter. Reboot the system.

The chkdsk /r will execute and then boot into XP.

Then defrag the system partition.

Louis

#9 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:39 PM

okay I will try that! BTW how do I go about installing software for an external mouse? That might be a good backup solution. This is probably the wrong forum for that question though.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:39 PM

I just attached the mouse to the notebook before booting up...didn't even disable the touchpad (I have Dell Inspiron laptop). No problems at all.

I don't use a mouse/keyboard which requires software to be installed...plain vanilla.

Louis

#11 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:45 PM

Hi Louis,
I didn't do exactly what you said . . . I did a total computer defrag which I am sure is different. That didn't help. Then I found an external mouse and plugged it in and it works fine. Now all my touchpad issues are solved!

Thanks for the help! I consider this case closed successfully!
Another success thanks to the great folks at BleepingComputer!

:thumbsup: Firetooth

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:14 PM

Glad it's somewhat resolved...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users