Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lightspeed laptop

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 techtic

techtic

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:18 PM

i want a laptop for general uses but i'm also considering buying one built for gaming, hd movie watching and editing, and fast downloading.i want to spend as little as i can but at the same time i'm wiling to shell out the big bucks if it's very fast and for the aforementioned specs.

for me, speed is key because it saves time and time is money and i use a computer so it's lots of time and lots of time is lots of money. know what i mean? i dont know if it exists, but i'm looking for a lightspeed situation so i never have to wait, whether for starting up the computer, opening programs, switching folders, surfing the internet, etc.... if i cant get lightspeed i'll settle for rush hour speed. call me a speed freak.

i'm thinking of getting a desktop computer if it's much faster, much cheaper, or is much better for the aforementioned specs. like everything i talked about before, i know nothing about it in comparison to you guys, so please help me out.

i dont mind buying something used and i'd prefer it if its cheaper as long as it has or i still can purchase a long warranty

i appreciate any and all the help you guys give me.

steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:00 PM

FWIW: IMO, the advantages of a desktop over a laptop...are invaluable, if system mobility is not a factor in decision-making.

Essentially, you get more bang for the buck and a minor repair effort...won't remove the system for days or be impossible because it's a laptop. And troubleshooting issues will be much easier and probably more accurate and easily resolved.

Louis

#3 techtic

techtic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:28 AM

how much cheaper is a desktop (top speed)? i'm only getting it if it's much better than a laptop or it's much cheaper

about the repairs, if i'm getting a laptop i'm getting a 3 year warranty so fixing will be easy (the question is if i can get the warranty for a used laptop (which is way cheaper))

What about getting a fast laptop and installing a fast SSD drive for the OS and using the old internal drive as storage? is that a way to go to get a lightspeed laptop?

Edited by techtic, 08 June 2010 - 10:38 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:44 AM

Google Links On a Complex Topic

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 10 June 2010 - 03:06 PM.

#5 techtic

techtic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:53 PM

ok quick break in the conversation i'll get back on your comment later.

this looks like it might take a little bit before i decide on a computer and in the meantime i've been borrowing my friends' computers and it's been mad annoying. so if you could just help me get a rush hour speed (not lightspeed) laptop in the meantime that i'd buy used on ebay for like 300-500$ before i get a laptop/desktop that's crazy fast for crazy money i'd really appreciate it.

i think it's worth it for me because even if i choose my lightspeed laptop in the next 2 weeks i'll have a backup computer for when i need it. imo used comps on ebay is the cheapest way to go for a short-term computer (meaning i dont need a warranty on this one because it's only for the next 2 months tops).

please dont give up on my crazy researching. trust me im going to spend a lot of money soon on what u guys are helping me with and im not wasting your time

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:27 PM

^ crazy researching is a good thing. :blink:
Do post back with the info you have gathered.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#7 techtic

techtic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:06 PM

MAJOR UPDATE!!!

i decided it's not worth getting a backup comp and i'm down to the last stages of deciding which computer i'm buying. i dont want a desktop because i want to be able to travel but i still have a few questions before i pick my laptop.

how important is 64-bit?
how much does it cost to buy a ssd fast laptop?
does an i7 as opposed to an i5 make everything run faster?

#8 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 05:56 PM

1. Assuming you are referring to a 64bit Operating System, it sure is good to have, especially if you are considering a system with over 3.5GB of system memory.
Ideal choices would be Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate (64bit).

2. Over $1500 easy. Although, I would suggest sticking with HDDs for now.

3. Entirely depends on the intended usage.
A good Core i5 processor should be adequate for daily computing needs, offering a good balance of performance and power consumption.
However, if you need a machine for serious computing activities, multi-tasking et all, with battery life & heat dissipation the least of your concerns, the Core i7 it is!

Good luck! :blink:

#9 techtic

techtic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:34 AM

"2. Over $1500 easy. Although, I would suggest sticking with HDDs for now."

why go hdd? sdd's are much faster i'm told

"3. Entirely depends on the intended usage.
A good Core i5 processor should be adequate for daily computing needs, offering a good balance of performance and power consumption.
However, if you need a machine for serious computing activities, multi-tasking et all, with battery life & heat dissipation the least of your concerns, the Core i7 it is!"

someone told me a major downside of an i7 is overheating problems. is that true?

#10 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:53 PM

SSDs are very expensive. However, the speed increase is worth it to some. I can't recommend a specific SSD for obvious reasons, but this should give you an idea about the pricing.

someone told me a major downside of an i7 is overheating problems. is that true?

I've read earlier that an i7 laptop can get up to 90 degrees Celsius under load. I don't know how that affects the laptop, but I do know that it would be quite uncomfortable if it were in your lap. A good cooler should help dissipate the heat, though.

Also, you would definitely want to upgrade the laptop battery, because I've read that some barely last over an hour with i7s.

Here are two laptops you may want to look at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834114803
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834220702

They are pretty much the same, except the Asus has a more powerful graphics card (but it isn't on sale). I highly recommend reading the reviews if you're interested in these computers.

Edited by MadDawg, 21 June 2010 - 12:11 PM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#11 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:25 PM

They most certainly are.
Although, you might want to read this.

Well, it sure is.
It is after all the most powerful CPU in the Intel Core series.

However, heat issues are rather profound in core i7 based laptops, as opposed to desktops.
The CPU cooler (heatsink) that ships with the Intel Core i7 desktop processor should suffice for basic usage, beyond which you will need to get an aftermarket cooler.

Hope this helps. :blink:

Edited by ReviverSoft, 21 June 2010 - 07:31 PM.

#12 techtic

techtic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:18 PM

@maddawg:"
Also, you would definitely want to upgrade the laptop battery, because I've read that some barely last over an hour with i7s."

how do i upgrade it?

i dont like either laptop you recommended because i want a better graphics card, lack of more ram, and a full 1080 screen (do i really need any of those things though? i dont know). but the main thing is the lack of having both a ssd and hdd in the same laptop

right now i'm thinking a lot more like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...D=skim49X493850 (its sick! got a ssd and a hdd in the same comp!) or buying a laptop with two drives and installing a ssd and a 2 terabyte or less hdd

@reviver:
i'm pretty sure the computer i'm spending over 1500$ on will come with a good enough cooler even for the i7

#13 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:08 PM

how do i upgrade it?

Normally, you would be able to find another battery on the manufacturer's website. However, I checked it myself, and I was not able to find a stronger one for the laptop you linked to. The laptop appears to have a pretty strong one already anyway.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#14 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:27 PM

how do i upgrade it?
It's an optional upgrade.
Dell for example, offers an optional 9 cell battery. Sony offers an optional High Capacity battery, over the standard one.

If you were literally referring to the process of replacing it, there is nothing much to it.

i want a better graphics card, lack of more ram, and a full 1080 screen (do i really need any of those things though? i dont know). but the main thing is the lack of having both a ssd and hdd in the same laptop

Graphics card - Agreed.
Not enough RAM - Agreed.
Full 1080p screen - go by the screen size. < 16" = 720p ; > 16" = 1080p
Both HDD & SSD - Not many options

i'm pretty sure the computer i'm spending over 1500$ on will come with a good enough cooler even for the i7
In most cases, yes. Be sure to check out how good the ventilation is.
Alternatively, you could invest in a good laptop cooling pad.

right now i'm thinking a lot more like TOSHIBA Qosmio X505-Q880
Yeah, looks good.
Although...
1. It is HEAVY (close to 10 lbs.)
2. It's got a rebranded GT240, which isn't really top of the line
3. The price?

You might also want to consider the Asus G Series of laptops.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 22 June 2010 - 08:45 PM.

#15 techtic

techtic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:29 AM

@maddawg: right now my plan is to get this bad boy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...0-695-_-Product and speed it up with a good ssd. where can i get the best battery for this one?

"reviversoft"
"If you were literally referring to the process of replacing it, there is nothing much to it."
its easy to find a 12 cell battery to fit in my laptop above?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users