Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows will not load!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 abbygayle

abbygayle

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:14 PM

I cannot get Windows to load up on my computer. I am running Vista on a 7 month old emachines. I have a Windows 7 upgrade disc in the drive if that will help get this thing running again,( although there are some recent photos that have not been backed up that I would like to get if possible)

When I start computer, here are the messages I get:

eMachines screen

Boot from AHCI CD ROM
No Emulation -System Type 00

Pres any key to boot from CD or DVD

Microsoft Corporation (with a loading bar)
-My Hanns G monitor says "Adjusting"
then everything goes black.

Here are the things I've tried.

A. If I push a button to boot from CD it says "Windows is Loading Files" for about 3 seconds, then goes black for 60 seconds and flashes a blueish, greenish desktop looking screen with a circle that looks like its loading something. This lasts about 2 seconds and then all goes black and nothing else happens.

or

B. If I do not push a botton to boot from CD and just let it boot normally, this is what happens:

There is a real quick screen that says something like "Windows did not shut down properly. You may be able to save...... by starting in one of these safe modes:
- Safe Mode (when I choose this, it goes black for a bit, then a large arrow appears, then all goes black again. nothing else happens
-Safe Mode with Networking (same thing happens) -should i click something else at some point?
-Safe Mode with Command Prompt (same thing happens) - do i need to enter a command here?
or
-Start Windows Normally (black screen, nothing happens)

The only other things I see that I can press are right at the beginning when the eMachines screen comes up. It says I can press F10 for Display Boot Menu or F2 for BIOS
When I choose F10 I am given these options:
-Hard Disk
-Removable Device
-NVIDEA
-Atapi DVD

choosing any of these does nothing to load Windows.

or if I choose F2 and then I get the BIOS screen which flases for about 1 second or so. But I'm not sure what to do at that point. Any ideas or help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:29 AM

Try the F2 option...then go into the BIOS and look for the screen that says "boot options" or something analogous.

On that screen, ensure that the hard drive is the first choice.

Hit F10 to save changes, system will reboot.

Let us know what happens.

If unable to set hard drive as first choice...that could be an indication that your CMOS battery is weak and needs to be replaced. If this is a desktop, that's no problem. If your system is a laptop, it's more complicated.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp, ignore the part about writing down settings.

System manufacturer and model (e.g., eMachines T1234)?

Louis

#3 abbygayle

abbygayle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:39 AM

I may have a break in the situation with some advice and playing around and the problem may be with the monitor
:
I think it may indeed a monitor issue because I hooked it up to an old monitor i had up in the attic and the pc does seem to work fine (at least in safe mode for the moment). Of course I could be wrong...

However, I cannot even get to the menu on my monitor. The strange thing is that I can see everything for about 2 seconds, but then it goes away (even if PC if shut down) . I have a Hanns G monitor. But I can't keep the screen from going black to get to the restore default in the menu.

Do you think there would be a way to reset default without having access to the on screen menu? I can't seem to find any indication of one in the user manual unfortunately.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:33 AM

What's the point of trying to use a monitor...that you have proven is faulty?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users