Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Managing employee internet usage

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jon51

jon51

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:41 PM

I was wondering what the best way to keep employees from using the internet for non-work activities was. The business owner just wanted to delete the internet explorer and firefox icons and start menu items. She doesn't think the employees would know how to load the programs without them.

All of the computers are on a network and employees log into"staff" accounts. I suggested blocking all websites other than the few they would need for work related activities. What would be the easiest route to take? I think all of the computers are running window XP Pro.\

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:47 PM

I have heard of Windows Steady State:

User Restrictions

It is a free program that allows you to do the following:

Windows SteadyState User Restrictions
Take control of your shared computer with SteadyState restrictions

Protect your shared computer by customizing what users can do on it. Windows SteadyState puts you in control of which programs, features, disk drives, and websites are available to each user. For the inexperienced user, your computer will be more consistent and less complex. For an untrusted user, you can initiate enhanced security features on your computer.

Start Menu restrictions let you remove items from the Start Menu. This means you can disable user access to items such as:

* Shut Down
* Control Panel
* Command Prompt
* Windows Explorer

Drive restrictions determine which drives are visible to the user in My Computer. You can select the option to hide all drives, show all drives, or select specific drives that you do not want exposed to the user. These include printers or removable storage devices.

Program restrictions let you block a user from running a particular program, such as a system tool, simply by adding that program to the blocked list.

Feature restrictions can stop users from accessing program attributes that might damage or clutter the computer. For example, you can prevent users from adding to the Clip Organizer, creating Microsoft Office macros, using Visual Basic, or saving Internet Explorer favorites.

Internet restrictions let you set the Internet Explorer home page, and you can block access to any Internet site not specifically listed as allowed.

Edited by cryptodan, 05 June 2010 - 04:48 PM.

#3 jon51

jon51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:32 PM

Thank you for the quick response. I will give this a try.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:05 PM

I've seen good results with Family Safety

Not only does it automatically block "risky" websites, but you can also specify websites to block (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc...).

It even provides usage reports (regardless if "Private Browsing" is used).
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 jon51

jon51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:56 PM

I will download both and see what works the best for their needs.

Thanks again.

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:10 AM

No problem. :thumbsup:

It's always good to have options. :flowers:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#7 Anelly

Anelly

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:53 AM

I thnk the best option is to use an internet filtering software or a blocking application.
Or you can use some monitoring software and see which employee is not performing his job properly. In the company where I work the IP department has implemented a filtering software.
http://www.cyclope-series.com/internet-fil...g-software.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users