Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comfix Website

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WoodburyMan

WoodburyMan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:24 PM

Not sure where exactly to put this but figure a forum where lots of users who use ComboFix is a good start....

I'm avid user of ComboFix and use it on a daily basis. I also instruct people to run ComboFix sometimes when they have issues where a HTJ log and Spybot do not solve things easily.

Recently, I've had two friends in the past week have issues with downloading it. I tell them go to combofix.org, and follow the link to bleepingcomputer for the lastest release version of ComboFix. Both of them had downloaded and installed some crap program instead that was did nothing that wasnt even named ComboFix.

I found out why
Posted Image

On combofix's site, my friends were seeing the giant DOWNLOAD NOW button and clicking that rather than the download here link.

Perhaps they could change where Google Ads are being displayed on the page and put them on the bottom or something, or request that ad not be shown... This same add however appears almost every time the page is refreshed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:18 PM

Two things:
:flowers:

Never attempt to download ComboFix from sites other than BleepingComputer.com and Forospyware.com!

Other sites hosting ComboFix are not authorized mirrors and are hosting outdated copies of ComboFix.
These outdated copies can contain bugs that may render some machines unbootable.
Using unauthorized mirrors of ComboFix puts your computer at risk of not booting again.
Always wait wait for the official version to be fixed and released again.

:thumbsup:
ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for general public or personal use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

See this topic here: ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 WoodburyMan

WoodburyMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:29 PM

1) Yea. True. If you click the download LINK bellow it it brings it to BC. Easiest URL to type/remember.

2) I run them through a lot of stuff first. I use this as a support tool for when I don't have physical access to the machine. Usually I take the drive out and scan/disinfect it from another machine and check through key folders for rogue files and whatnot and that does it. Takes care of most rootkits and such and those that run in memory. (Had atapi.sys one nicked well before anything detected it because when its infected, the replaced file is not signed, easily spotable by sorting folder view by Company and such). Support for friends on forums and such I generally go through and have them run HTJ, Spybot, and less invasive things, and run ComboFix as a last resort because telling them to just format.

#4 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:44 PM

Combofix.org is not a legitimate source for combofix. You should not be directing people to that site. Like rigel says, only bleepingcomputer.com and forospyware.com are THE only 2 legitimate mirrors for CF. That is why your 2 friends experienced trouble.

Edited by Pandy, 05 June 2010 - 03:45 PM.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users